Talk

Advanced search

How long do I have to work (on return) So that I don't need to pay back maternity.

(9 Posts)
Mammy2myboy Wed 20-Sep-17 15:28:28

As above really.. I'm guessing all organisations differ. It doesn't say anything in my contract or the letter I received when I went on mat leave. I will ask my employer when I'm due to return- which isn't until next year but just wondered if there's a general period of time that needs to be worked.. I plan on returning looking for another job.

CoffeeAndCupcakes85 Fri 22-Sep-17 13:26:16

I assume you mean enhanced maternity pay? If so, then it should be in your organisation's maternity policy documents. If you're returning soon, maybe try and get hold of these when you're back and see what it says.

If you just mean statutory maternity pay (90% of salary for 6 weeks then approx£140/week for the next 33 weeks) then you don't need to pay this back at all, even if you don't return to work.

Nan0second Fri 22-Sep-17 13:29:05

Usually 3months. There should be a company policy on this.

Nan0second Fri 22-Sep-17 13:34:01

(If you received occupational pay above statutory). If only statutory pay then no need to return

schmalex Sat 23-Sep-17 11:04:37

Depends on your contract, I didn't go back at all and didn't pay my enhanced pay back as it wasn't in my contract.

thiskittenbarks Sat 23-Sep-17 11:08:05

I'm no expert but from my experience if you had to go back for a period it would be stated in your contact.

LIZS Sat 23-Sep-17 11:10:20

For anything paid above smp the terms of any repayment need to be stated up front, in the Maternity Policy and/or your letter confirming the date you were due to start ml.

ineedaholidaynow Sat 23-Sep-17 11:16:03

At my old firm you got SMP when you were actually on maternity leave, you then got a bonus, for want of a better word, only if you returned to work and that was based on the days you worked on your return, so if returned part-time it was reduced. You then had to stay at the firm for a certain amount of time or it would be claw backed. I'm afraid I can't remember how long but I think it was something like if you only stayed 6 months it all had to be paid back, 1 year only had to repay 60%.

This was stated in your contract so you knew the terms before going on maternity leave

Mammy2myboy Sat 23-Sep-17 13:16:29

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'd looked on the system prior to leaving and the maternity policy is very brief. Nothing in about regarding paying anything back. The same with my letter staring the amounts I would receive each month... my guess is that I wouldn't have to pay anything back just because it's not documented anywhere. There's nothing about maternity leave in my contract either.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: