Talk

Advanced search

Not returning to work after mat leave - question re accrued annual leave

(12 Posts)
MoreCakeMoreCake Mon 28-Aug-17 07:47:22

I'm currently on maternity leave and considering resigning from my job.

My contract states that any Enhanced Maternity Pay has to be paid back if I don't return, but there is no returns period / minimum number of weeks given.

I will have accrued over a month's annual leave and need to give a month's notice when resigning.

My question is - if I give notice and take my annual leave as the notice period, will I be counted as "back at work" and not have to repay the EMP?

Or will they deduct any holiday pay I'm owed from the EMP I will owe them?

I'm reluctant to ask HR (even in confidence!) as they are notoriously shit at anything admin / payroll related and would probably end up telling my manager!

OP’s posts: |
MoreCakeMoreCake Mon 28-Aug-17 14:27:53

Anyone?

babybigapple Mon 28-Aug-17 14:32:44

It might not say anything in your contract but I'd get hold of your maternity pay policy for the minimum period you need to return.

MoreCakeMoreCake Mon 28-Aug-17 14:34:26

Sorry - I meant to say there's nothing in the policy that states a minimum period that I'd need to return for.

I'm just wondering whether taking annual leave counts as "returning" or not. It's so vague!

TittyGolightly Mon 28-Aug-17 14:35:22

Check the mat policy. They won't write terms like that into your contract as they want to be able to change them more easily.

TittyGolightly Mon 28-Aug-17 14:36:13

It could be argued either way, to be honest. You're not physically returning, but you would be put back on payroll for the annual leave.

MoreCakeMoreCake Mon 28-Aug-17 14:37:35

Screen shot of relevant part of the policy...

babybigapple Mon 28-Aug-17 14:37:54

You'll just have to suck it up and ask then I'm afraid, randoms on the internet can't answer that. It works in your favour if there is nothing official on paper as I cannot see how they could argue you need to do more than 'return' for your accrued leave. However unless it's a very small company I am sure they have or could establish a required period for you to work.

MoreCakeMoreCake Mon 28-Aug-17 14:38:56

Sorry - I said contract when I should have said maternity leave policy.

babybigapple Mon 28-Aug-17 14:39:33

That changes things - you must return for your notice period but taking this as annual leave (in line with your annual leave policy) would be acceptable without repaying EMP. They could decline your annual leave request and make you work the month but then you'd get paid your accrued leave.

bookgirl1982 Mon 28-Aug-17 14:48:19

I read that wording as meaning that you would need to 'return' for a month, but you could ask to use all your accrued leave for that. they could insist that you actually work but if they are that unreasonable they would probably have a longer tie-in period!

MoreCakeMoreCake Mon 28-Aug-17 15:47:15

Thanks all!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in