Talk

Advanced search

Getting interviews but not job offers

(10 Posts)
CazY777 Sun 20-Aug-17 16:15:54

I'm trying to get back to work, I've been a SAHP for nearly 3 years (I did go back for 6 months during that time, after maternity leave).
I seem to be good at writing job applications, I've got tonnes of experience and am qualified to Masters level so I get interviews for about 3/4 of the jobs I apply for, but at the interview I never seem to be able to convince them to give me the job! I get really nervous and I can't remember things. I do prepare and think about questions they are likely to ask. One I thought did go well I still didn't get the job.
I don't handle rejection very well, and the field I work in is quite competitive with a lot of younger people all dying to do these jobs (which is how I used to feel but after a crap experience at my last job I'm a bit jaded with it tbh).

So, WWYD, keep doing the same until hopefully I get a job in my established field, or look to do something else? I've been thinking about freelancing in my field (but have moved 300 miles from where I used to work so don't have any contacts here) or freelance admin work (but you seem to be competing with people in other countries who can undercut on price) or admin temping through an agency (I do have admin skills) or do some training? I've been thinking about primary school teacher training or doing an 1 day a week accountancy course (I was quite Senior in my last job so I controlled budgets etc, which I did enjoy), but I will have to get a student loan to do that. I've done so much training previously, Project Management, Fundraising etc but I just can't remember that much about it now!

Any tips or advice greatly appreciated.

OP’s posts: |
SavingM0neyChoice Mon 21-Aug-17 01:05:15

It is a numbers game keep applying. Can you ask for some feedback when the company informs you. Can you temp somewhere and hope to progress to a permanent job in the same company. If you are getting interviews you must have qualities that people are looking for

Copperbeech33 Mon 21-Aug-17 01:10:54

just keep on and on applying, it can take literally dozens, or hundreds, sometimes. The more interviews you do, the less nervous you will feel.

Don't apply one by one, apply for as many as you can all at once, and keep it up.

apply for jobs outside of your previous experience too, apply for anything, but only apply if you would actually happily accept the job.

CazY777 Mon 21-Aug-17 07:26:45

Thank you, Saving and Copper, I will keep applying. It will be easier to apply for more jobs at once when my daughter gets her 15 hours of nursery.

SolemnlyFarts Mon 21-Aug-17 07:32:10

Do you know anyone who is used to hiring? Can you get them to do mock interviews with you, maybe even videoing then (I would rather have my nails pulled out but it could be worth it) to see where you're going wrong?

www.askamanager.org is an excellent site for interview advice as well, I've found it very helpful.

Theworldisfullofidiots Mon 21-Aug-17 07:51:15

Take a crib sheet in with you into the interview. No-one cares if you have one and knowing you don't have to remember will lessen your nerves.

CazY777 Mon 21-Aug-17 08:24:02

I have started taking a crib sheet in, and that did work ok for the interview that I thought I did well in. I haven't asked for feedback for any of them as I just thought it would be rubbing it in as to why I've failed, but I'm going to have to bite the bullet and ask in future

CazY777 Mon 21-Aug-17 08:26:08

We've moved away from our friends and family to buy a house, so there's no one who could do a mock interview with me, except my husband but I just couldn't take it seriously.

Rinkydinkypink Mon 21-Aug-17 18:17:16

I honestly think it's just the world we live in op. I could have written your post and although i do have a job its temporary. Very few house a week and minimum wage. I've been to interviews been told I've done really well. Even promised jobs but been left down EVERY time. I've just had another rejection for a job that I was told all last week I'd got. The paper work would be coming through shortly etc. Today I'm told there is now no job. These are big companies, civil service, NHS etc. It's appalling yet employers can do anything because so many people are after the decent jobs.

I don't know what else we can do op other than keep going. Ask for feedback and hope one day someone will give us a chance. It's so extremely hard 😔

Rinkydinkypink Mon 21-Aug-17 18:18:24

*hours a week

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in