Talk

Advanced search

Career after mat leave

(13 Posts)
SlB09 Wed 16-Aug-17 21:23:07

I love my job but want to progress, im due to go on mat leave soon and wondered how you all felt when you went back? Did your drive to progress reduce or diminish or were you happy to study and move on? My current place of work is very child friendly and flexible and generally lovely - its whether this is enough?!

OP’s posts: |
snackarella Wed 16-Aug-17 21:23:55

I didn't go back!
Mine weren't child friendly or flexible at all. I think you'll have to wait and see how you feel x

SlB09 Wed 16-Aug-17 21:29:37

Yeah I know I'm probably trying to predict the future which nobody can, its just something I'm struggling with as always been career focused.

cheminotte Wed 16-Aug-17 21:31:29

Yes I still wanted a career after mat leave and applied for a promotion within 6 months of returning. I didn't get it.

koalab Wed 16-Aug-17 21:36:54

I'm interested in this too. I was fairly driven before going on maternity leave. I'm now 8 months in to my 12 months off and at the moment I couldn't care less about work confused. Where I work you are expected to demonstrate how you want to progress each year and plan how to do it. I hope I get some drive back when I'm back amongst it.

BendingSpoons Wed 16-Aug-17 21:37:48

I interviewed and got promoted whilst on mat leave. I have a slightly different perspective now e.g. they would have to let me work part time or I wouldn't take the job, but essentially it hasn't changed my view. I do work in NHS though, so it is fairly family friendly.

koalab Wed 16-Aug-17 21:39:03

Forgot to say that feeling like this has been a bit of a surprised. But I worked so hard to get to where I was that i know I will go back.

SlB09 Wed 16-Aug-17 23:13:48

NHS too but ive found different areas have different views on 'family friendly' or 'flexible'! I just hope a. It doesnt affect how im viewed/less opportunities part time and b. I still have that part of me

cheminotte Thu 17-Aug-17 08:10:46

There are definitely fewer opportunities part time.

mrskhw Thu 17-Aug-17 10:17:58

For me, had my employer been willing to be flexible with my hours, I would have continued to work hard for my next promotion however I left as we couldn't agree on a flexible working arrangement.

However, I have plenty of friends who have come back to work after having a baby and are excelling massively in their careers.

If you want it, you can do it!

emilycrosby Thu 17-Aug-17 12:46:02

I felt awful leaving my LO at nursery but needed to get out and do something for myself! I don't think you will ever get over the Mummy guilt but I just had to push through it, knowing that it would benefit her in the future.

If it helps I used this jobsite called DYWAJ to find my current job - they were really helpful and understanding when it came to going back to work after maternity leave.

Good luck with whatever you choose! smile

SlB09 Thu 17-Aug-17 21:05:14

Great info thanks smile. Think of all that wonderful talent and commitment thats lost through inflexible arrangements, these people could be such an assett!!

Tangoandcreditcards Thu 17-Aug-17 21:11:47

I went back FT after 10 mo mat leave then went on mat leave again 12 months after coming back.

I'm no less driven. I've had 2 promotions in that time and I'm as senior as I can get at my current job. I have flexible working (flexed hours and WFH 1 dpw). My career is probably less of a single-minded priority (as I have others in my DCs) but it's important to the family (as I'm the main/sole earner).

I've been supported by an awesome DP who took time out to be a SAHD and a work environment that has flexed around me and a boss who has a young family too, so gets the balancing act. It definitely helps if you aren't bearing the whole domestic load...

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in