Talk

Advanced search

Advice on covering letter?

(9 Posts)
Iglu Wed 02-Aug-17 15:20:44

I am applying for a volunteer position in a veterinarian, I have written a covering letter to the employer and wound love some feedback from you guys before I bring it down...should I amend anything? Thank you! (Start of letter missing due to privacy)

...would love to be considered for a volunteer position at your clinic. You may find my knowledge and experience with animals, administration and customer service skills to be of interest. Attached is my CV.

Although I currently don’t hold any official qualifications I can assure you my experience working with animals has and is strictly hands on. My knowledge regarding animals is substantial, my love for animals is limitless and I have been fascinated with animals from a very young age. Having cared for pets all my life I became very familiar with their needs. My experience caring for animal's ranges from reptiles, rodents, fish, cats and dogs to larger animals such as horses and livestock. I currently own two dogs, one of which is a rescue and the other has sadly has been diagnosed with chronic bronchitis. I treat, care and administer medication daily, I also care for my mother's dog, he is blind and diabetic, he requires a strict routine of insulin twice daily which I am happy to take responsibility for.

I understand that working in a Veterinary clinic isn't all just about love and care, I am more than willing to learn veterinary and medicine terminology.

I hope you find my firsthand experience with animals, along with my communication and people skills fitting for the position. Thank you for the opportunity and your time, I hope I am able to present my qualifications to you in person. I look forward to hearing from you.

OP’s posts: |
Iglu Wed 02-Aug-17 18:47:56

Anybody?

SeaSeeker Wed 02-Aug-17 18:51:14

Sounds good to me. What does the volunteer position require you to do? Is it helping with the animals 'backstage' or is it client-facing in some way?

SeaSeeker Wed 02-Aug-17 18:52:28

Though there's an apostrophe wrong on 'animals' and you repeat 'has' twice towards the end

Iglu Wed 02-Aug-17 19:48:13

Thank you so much for pointing them out seaseeker, I'm unsure yet I rang a local vet and offered volunteer work. They advised me to send a cv with covering letter. Thank you again lovely for taking the time to comment and read it ❤

SeaSeeker Wed 02-Aug-17 21:07:17

You're very welcome. Hope it all works out and good luck!

BoardwalkSoul Wed 02-Aug-17 21:13:30

Hello

It sounds good so far.

A great covering letter identifies what the company's needs are and gives evidence of how the candidate can meets those needs. So I agree with the previous poster that if you can, find out what you would be doing and then explain how your skills would enable you to do those tasks.

You mention you have a lot of knowledge of animals, it would be really great if you explained how you got this knowledge - reading up/work experience etc. It will show you have proactively sought to increase your knowledge.

It might also be worth having a sentence on why you have chosen this particular vets - it will give you a chance to show you have researched the surgery and maybe even then vet/s themselves.

Lastly, in this sentence do you need to change the word 'has':
my experience working with animals has and is strictly hands on

Good luck! Let us know if you are successful!

elkiedee Fri 04-Aug-17 01:43:41

I wouldn't remind them in your covering letter that you have no qualifications as you're looking for a volunteer role - focus on your experience and how this would help them.

Maybe something about experience working with people, as you would meet humans bringing their pets in and perhaps being upset/anxious when beloved animals are ill.

Iglu Fri 04-Aug-17 07:03:15

Thank you very much for your feedback it's massively appreciated.

I went into the vets in person to deliver my cv and covering letter, the head nurse wasn't very nice at all, face like thunder and an attitude of a stroppy 14 year old, maybe it was a blessing in disguise 😄

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in