Talk

Advanced search

Age on CV?

(8 Posts)
IfYoureHappyAndYouKnowIt Mon 24-Jul-17 23:45:35

I'm updating my CV and as an older person am wondering the extent to which I need to show dates on my CV.

I'm sure I read somewhere a while back that there is no longer a need to show full dates. But then surely it will look odd if I don't and actually unless I leave a lot of dates off then an employer will work it out anyway.

What's best practice?

My concern sadly is that people can be ageist. And in my field, one you get over fifty employment becomes much harder.

I look (I think) a little younger than I am but not that young..

OP’s posts: |
TittyGolightly Mon 24-Jul-17 23:46:59

Don't put your DOB on there, but give year (and month, if relevant) on the other information.

Konkatenate Tue 25-Jul-17 00:04:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IfYoureHappyAndYouKnowIt Tue 25-Jul-17 07:11:55

Thanks. I'm in the fortunate position, in a way, of having worked in the same industry for all my my career.

I guess I can summarise my education (without dates). It's a long time ago but still useful to last and I'm actually doing a postgrad at the moment.

I could then perhaps, as suggested, do the dates for my last two jobs (actually almost twenty years in total amazingly) and then last the others under 'early career'.

That said, dates are on my linked in profile. I'm not actually sure that I can remove those. I will have a look and see whether I can do a similar thing there.

IfYoureHappyAndYouKnowIt Tue 25-Jul-17 07:15:08

I wasn't planning to put DoB by the way. I was wondering how to manage dates in general as when everything is listed in sequence it's easy to figure out age. I can't of course misrepresent myself but the suggestions are a nice way of downplaying it a little.

TittyGolightly Tue 25-Jul-17 07:22:40

Not much you can do about your age being worked out.

titchy Tue 25-Jul-17 07:55:40

Of course you can changed your LinkedIn profile!

I only ever put my two most recent posts on my cv, despite 25 years in the same sector. And only university qualifications.

IfYoureHappyAndYouKnowIt Wed 02-Aug-17 22:38:56

On the linked in front does anyone know how you can list jobs or education without putting dates against them?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in