Nursery worker + tattoos

(24 Posts)
PurpleRose1989 Mon 17-Jul-17 20:08:09

Currently on maternity and won't be returning to my job as a teacher. I am looking into nursery working and have a couple of tattoos at the minute which can be covered if needed. Schools have never had an issue with them but wondering if a nursery setting might? I am planning another tattoo over the summer and would LOVE something like in the picture but not sure if this would affect employability. Should I play it safe and get another easily covered one?

OP’s posts: |
Mummatron3000 Mon 17-Jul-17 20:12:11

Several of the women working in my son's nursery have tattoos - while not to my taste it doesn't make a jot of difference to their (excellent) care of my DS! I'd be quite sad if people found they were less employable because of tattoos in this day & age.

QueenieGoldstein Mon 17-Jul-17 20:13:47

Another alternative is to invest in a good concealer if you are worried. Dermacol do a good waterproof one.

BlahBlahBlahEtc Mon 17-Jul-17 20:14:20

A lot of employers disclose a no tattoos on show policy, i.e no tattoos outside of where a shirt would be, wrist, hands, neck etc. You might get lucky and your future might not mind but it could hinder you (Unfairly, impo). I'd play it safe for now and see if you can get this one further on down the line.

PoppyPopcorn Mon 17-Jul-17 20:14:51

Just put it elsewhere on your body.

BlahBlahBlahEtc Mon 17-Jul-17 20:16:22

*future employer, sorry. I do know people that have been turned down for jobs because of 'on show' tattoos. Again.. unfairly imo.

Timefortea99 Mon 17-Jul-17 20:18:06

To be on the safe side getva tattoo that can be covered. Even if you find an employer now who does not mind, you might need to work somewhere else and your options might be unnecessarily limited.

TheMasterNotMargarita Mon 17-Jul-17 20:21:43

Unless its something offensive or really huge across your face I wouldnt give it a second thought

Ds nursery keyworker has a few. I dont care. Shes lovely and does a great job. Tattoos do not equal bad person although I guess some people seem to think so.

insancerre Mon 17-Jul-17 20:29:56

I work for a small chain of nurseries and we have a no visible tattoo policy
So you wouldn't get a job with us

ZenNudist Mon 17-Jul-17 20:34:29

As a parent i dont care unless youve got love and hate across your knuckles or two tears or extreme tattoos!

However nursery employers might think differently.

Foniks Mon 17-Jul-17 20:38:18

I'm not a fan of tattoos at all, but the one you show would be fine in my opinion. I wouldn't mind leaving my child with a good nursery worker with a small pretty tattoo like that.

PurpleRose1989 Mon 17-Jul-17 20:58:01

Thanks all for your help. Think I'm going to have to chicken out and go for a hidden one in case a nursery has a tattoo policy. It is unfair I think as so many people have them nowadays and majority are inoffensive. But I suppose some parents would be unhappy and workplaces have to keep up clean cut appearances. Ah well - maybe when I'm retired!

PurpleRose1989 Mon 17-Jul-17 21:00:18

Queenie I will probably have to invest because I do have a small wrist tattoo but never been an issue in any of the schools I've worked in. Can always cover with a large watch I suppose!

barbarann Mon 17-Jul-17 21:14:35

A few of the workers at DS's nursery have tattoos on show and I've never batted an eye.

I have a hidden one myself.

If having a tattoo makes someone unemployable then that knocks out a large part of the workforce!

Still, if in doubt, have it where it can be covered.

3rdrockfromthesun Mon 17-Jul-17 22:12:33

Don't go for one on the hand or feet as they fade but don't go. Go for somewhere else

HandmaidsFail Mon 17-Jul-17 22:14:47

A few people have visible tattoos at my DC's nursery. One has both arms practically covered in tattoos. Not a problem. Lovely nursery, huge waiting list, v affluent area.

engineersthumb Mon 17-Jul-17 22:43:54

I'm not a fan of tattoos, given the choice I'd rather not see them in the nursery. That said one of the nursery nurses that works with my son has lots of tats and piercings but is very good with DS. Of course I will blame her for any future body mutilationgrin

shockshockhorror Mon 17-Jul-17 22:47:30

I work in a nursery and have several visible tattoos. It's never been a problem, however I would strongly recommend against getting one on your hand. Arms, neck, legs you can cover up if you have to. A hand tattoo will always be on show.

exWifebeginsat40 Mon 17-Jul-17 22:49:10

hand and face tattoos aren't known as Everlasting Jobstoppers for nothing, OP.

Owllady Mon 17-Jul-17 22:50:11

I have a daughter with severe SN and loads of the carers have piercings and tattoos
I personally wouldn't have visible ones myself tbh but maybe I'm old fashioned

NeverTwerkNaked Mon 17-Jul-17 22:54:27

My daughter's nursery has a no visible tattoos policy. It wouldn't bother me if her key worker had them, but I can see it is easiest for the nursery just to have a blanket policy

Blossomdeary Mon 17-Jul-17 22:55:53

If you are worried about it - do not do it!

TiggyD Mon 17-Jul-17 22:58:33

I work a bit in a nursery in a not as classy as it thinks it is private school. They have a no tattoos on show policy.

MissJSays Mon 17-Jul-17 23:00:26

No, my MIL owns and manages a day nursery that I also work in. The tattoo in the picture wouldn't be a problem. It's only if the tattoo is offensive or scary in any way, then it would cause more of a prob.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in