Talk

Advanced search

Nhs interview

(7 Posts)
maltedmilk1 Sat 15-Jul-17 11:07:12

Hi all

Just need a it of advice really as feel although I have been out of the 'interviewing game' for quite some time (2 years since last official interview due to having a little one and working for my dad)

I have an interview on Wednesday for a part time ward clerk position at a maternity unit.
I really want the job and feel I have all the experience and skills to fulfil the position but I do feel very nervous about being interviewed.

What should I wear to such interview? I was going to do something like a plain black dress with flats as didn't want to be suited as felt that would be too corporate for an NHS role but want to make a good impression obviously.

Does anyone have any tips or advice when being interviewed by an NHS panel?

Thanks in advance flowers

SherryBevan Sun 16-Jul-17 23:43:37

I was interviewed for an NHS role a few years ago, and like yo'ure thinking, a suit was too corporate. A plain black dress sounds like a good choice. Remember the panel isn't trying to make you fail. They want the candidates to succeed. I've been on both sides of the panel now. I no longer work in the NHS however from my experience, they try to be very fair and impartial.

Good luck.
Sherry

Matilda2013 Sun 16-Jul-17 23:46:56

Remember to relate the answers to how you doing your job benefits the patients. I work admin side and apparently at a lot of interviews they forget to mention the patients at all.

maltedmilk1 Mon 17-Jul-17 22:41:16

Thanks so much for both your help fingers crossed I do ok

BikeRunSki Mon 17-Jul-17 23:23:02

I don't work for the NHS, but I do work for a very large public sector organisation. If the NHS are anything like us (and I think they are), the interview will be competency based. Questions will be stuff like "give an example of when you have influenced someone in the workplace".

Also remember STAR - Situation Task Action Result.

Talk about what you can/have done, your role in a larger team (not "we did this"...)

And don't forget your customers- the patients!

albanie Wed 19-Jul-17 21:40:47

Thanks so much flowers the questions were as you predicted, think I did ok but hard to tell fingers crossed!

Matilda2013 Wed 19-Jul-17 22:11:12

Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now