Talk

Advanced search

Out of nursing into social work?

(4 Posts)
CoconutGal Tue 11-Jul-17 16:45:35

I've stepped foot into nursing & have decided it's not for me. I've always deep down wanted to be a social worker but felt the hours & job itself can be too much. However, I currently work in social care in a nursing home & would really like to begin training to be a social worker for older peoples services. The trouble is, I don't know where to start. Open Uni have great courses that can kick start me but can I ask my employer to register as a placement for me to work at? Does it get me registered as a SW? Can I use the qualification to work in different departments?

OP’s posts: |
FlourishandBlotts Mon 17-Jul-17 18:44:49

You can do your MA in Social Work, it's a one year course. You have your nursing degree/diploma? Not sure if you get funding though....

Numberonecook Wed 26-Jul-17 11:25:41

MA on social work is usually 2 years and you will be registered. You may get a bursary to cover fees. You should have enough hours experience to get on

Step up is another option. If you have a good degree (2:1 or above I think) you can apply for this and get paid whilst you train. Good luck

ems137 Wed 26-Jul-17 16:37:45

I don't know if you meant you're a qualified nurse or not? But I've started an open uni course with a view to becoming a social worker.

I have no A-Levels so I'm 1 year in to a 2 year part time access course. Once I've completed that I will apply to a regular, local uni to study for a social work degree.

I'm not in a rush though as I'm planning on staying off work until my youngest (2weeks) goes to school so I've got 5 years to sort it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in