Advanced search

People with experience of benefits....

(12 Posts)
cheesypastatonight Sun 02-Jul-17 22:12:10

I am trying to use the Entitled to benefit calculated, having never claimed anything apart from child benefit. I see they have different options for how many hours a week you work, I think the cat agonies are under 16 hours, 16-30 and over 30?

Having previously employed people and hearing about number of hours, can anybody explain how the govt looks on hours as regards to giving more working or child tax credit according to how many hours you work. Do you get more money if you work more than 30 or less than 30? Or how does it work.

Can anyone explain please? It seems to give options of changing your hours to see how the difference is. I mean, does the govt reward you for working more, or give you more cos you earn less?
Or neither?!!

Also, does the rate of pay make a difference? Ie, does it make a difference if I worked 20 hours at £10ph or 10 hours at £20ph?

Thank you!

OP’s posts: |
thiswillhavetodo Sun 02-Jul-17 22:25:07

Do you mind me asking if you are a single parent family or if you have a partner? That definitely affects the amount you will receive... from what I understand from my claims, I believe you have to work at least 16 hours + per week, but also your income and savings can be no more than £16,000 per year... i think it is designed to encourage parents (mainly women) to go back to work after starting a family... I hope this helps? 💐

cheesypastatonight Sun 02-Jul-17 22:33:16

Thank you, I am asking as I am going to separate from my "d"h.
I have two dc.

OP’s posts: |
cheesypastatonight Sun 02-Jul-17 22:34:00

I do have they affect Child and working tax credits?

OP’s posts: |
Babyroobs Sun 02-Jul-17 22:43:10

Savings don't affect tax credits unless the interest you are going to earn on those savings is over £300 in a year, then you must declare the interest as income.
As a single parent you need to work over 16 hours a week to get help with childcare costs and to earn working tax credits if you are on a low income ( under £18k I think ).
The savings threshold of £16k does not apply for Tax credits, only for means tested benefits like Income support and housing benefit.
The threshold for child tax credits goes up with each child, for 2 children it is £32k without childcare costs.
What do you think your income and hours might be ? The entitled to calculator is one of the most accurate I believe.

thiswillhavetodo Sun 02-Jul-17 22:45:29

Sorry to hear about you and DH. It depends how much you have - any more than £16,000 savings and you will not be eligible.... I think as you have 2 children you should be eligible... I think it may also depend on if you come to arrangements with him for child maintenance.... all I know is my arrangement with my ex... he pays child maintenance and any relevant money for the property.... being a part time working single parent I get child benefit, and working and child tax credit... x

thiswillhavetodo Sun 02-Jul-17 22:47:06

Babyroobs yes that sounds about right.... apologies for any incorrect info... all I have to base it in is what I receive!! X

Akire Sun 02-Jul-17 22:48:29

If you are on fairly low wage you are just as well off working 16 as you are working 30-40. That's why many single parents will only work 16h. Ypu get topped up to working full time, if you play around with calculators you will see what I mean. The more you earn the less benefits they give but same take
Home pay at the end. Though Universal Credit is supposed make
It easier to actually take
Home more For more hours, but depends where you live (and doubtful or ever get rolled out everywhere at this rate)

Babyroobs Sun 02-Jul-17 22:51:42

Child maintainance will not affect tax credits or any other benefits.
Something you do need to bear in mind though is that Universal credit is replacing the tax credit system ( amongst other benefits). it may or may not be fully operational in your area, you would need to check. Everyone is gradually being migrated across but for may areas at the moment it is just single people on it.
Under Universal credit rules if you have savings above £16k you will not be able to claim it. if you have savings between £6k and £16k you will lose some of your award.

AddictedToDrPepper Sun 02-Jul-17 23:01:55

The lower your yearly income the more working tax credits you receive (however you do need to work over 16hrs/week). You will also get 70% of your child care costs covered.

The higher your income, the less working tax credits you receive. However so long as you are receiving working tax credits you will still get 70% of your child care covered.

For two children you will receive roughly £117 child tax credit per week in addition to your working tax credits.

cheesypastatonight Mon 03-Jul-17 08:14:26

Thanks for those answers smile.

Does anyone know about the rate of pay and over 30 and under 30 hours ?

OP’s posts: |
EMSMUM16 Mon 03-Jul-17 08:21:27

Hi, there are increments for doing over 30 hours i believe but i suggest going on a site called 'entitledto' then do some calculations- it gives the amounts you should get including any other benefits too

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in