Talk

Advanced search

Hobbies on a job application form - what to put without looking like a numpty

(7 Posts)
yellowbirdie Mon 26-Jun-17 13:23:43

I would usually leave hobbies off a cv but this application is asking for them.

I have done some serious travelling in my time so I'm putting that down.

Is volunteering a hobby?? I have done a lot so I'm putting that down.

What to put for the third slot?? If I put anything sporty down they may think I'm really proficient at it. I'm shit at sport, but I enjoy what I do. I certainly don't look sporty!!

Home improvement - just had an extension built...

Reading - is that too boring?

Theatre - I haven't gone for ages but I do like it.

Watching day time tv??

Struggling here....

TheCraicDealer Mon 26-Jun-17 13:27:55

I usually put "current affairs" down in the hope it will make me look more intelligent and worldly than I actually am [slurps tea] I don't think you need to fill all the slots though!

wheresmyphone Mon 26-Jun-17 13:33:29

Only put down stuff you can talk about. When I interview I often ask someone about their interests: not because it's that much relevance or interest to me (with some exceptions) but more because it's a great way to talk to someone naturally about their passions. People often get very nervous or are over rehearsed with the work stuff but get them on their personal stuff a whole new personality opens up.

2014newme Mon 26-Jun-17 13:35:19

It's very unusual to ask that.
I'd put the travelling, volunteering and home renovation.

Allthebestnamesareused Mon 26-Jun-17 13:46:54

I once instructed a barrister on the basis that in her Chambers directory it listed her interests as wine, Brookside and shopping at Harvey Nicks.

newnoo Mon 26-Jun-17 13:55:58

If you like sport, put sport down - but I'd be more specific - what sort of sport?? Doesn't matter that you don't look proficient in it.

If you put tennis down does that mean you should look like Serena Williams? Nah...

yellowbirdie Mon 03-Jul-17 23:03:17

Thank you for your help. I have an interview. Whoop, whoop!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now