Talk

Advanced search

Am I the only one with a degree who has a 'McJob?'

(6 Posts)
Zippydoodah Fri 23-Jun-17 11:50:10

A bit of background. I did a degree in the early 90s. I got a 2:2, which was expected. I could have got more but it would have been a slog.

When I finished, I had a few minor MH issues. I took the easy option and worked for a tiny software firm with no career progression, which I stayed with for 10 years until I had my eldest. The company folded during my maternity leave so I took a job, any job, which I have been in ever since.

For reference, I have two children, aged 8 and 13. The 13 has had some MH issues, which have improved somewhat. The 8 yr old is now playing up. I also have an elderly mother whose health is failing and becoming more dependent on me. She has been emotionally dependent on me for 5 yrs. I have a sister but doesn't seem to be able to help as much though has stepped up lately.

The job itself fits in around the school but the hours are unsociable. It's a big company and the perks are great, especially for someone with a family. The people I work with are nice (apart from a few questionable managers and customers).

However, the job issue has always been a kind of calling. I want something I can be proud of and can make my mark on the world (boke). Old uni friends have all had a career. None has gone down my path.

Every time I try to seriously consider I move, I am literally paralysed with panic. I am very susceptible to stress anyway (even before the above stuff) and always said I did not want a job where it took over my life so I've kind of avoided a career. I did do some voluntary work related to my degree but it dried up and I figured I did want to get paid anyway.

It's very hard when I myself don't really seem to know myself what I want out of a job. I want to use my brain but don't want to feel overly stressed or out of my depth iyswim.

Any ideas?

OP’s posts: |
Nasreen Fri 23-Jun-17 12:44:48

Hi
If it makes you feel any better, I am in pretty much the same boat as you, but minus the job!

Did a degree early 90's, faffed about until I did a P.G.C.E. Taught for a few years, had DD (now 12). Then diagnosed with breast cancer and had DS at the same time, so that was the end of teaching for me. Didn't want to know about any kind of stress. Worked from home for a bit, made redundant. Then worked as an LSA; funds dried up, so back to being unemployed. Currently volunteering for Citizens Advice. It's interesting and challenging, but obviously not paid.

Have you ever received any proper careers advice?
Could you look for alternative volunteer work, where you do use your brain? Is there any opportuity for career progression where you are now?

Fromr reading your post, it seems you have quite a bit going on in your personal life, so it might be best to stay put for now, until things calm a bit?

lanbro Fri 23-Jun-17 12:53:44

I did a degree in the late 90s, all my friends from uni work in the field of their degree, most directors or partners. I felt like the poor relative for years but now have my own business and about to open another

I've enjoyed my life, career success has never been at the top of my list. Try not to compare yourself to others, try and be happy with the way your life has gone

newnoo Fri 23-Jun-17 13:53:31

Zippy it's never too late. It sounds like you're still quite stretched by family matters so maybe now might not be the perfect timing.

You sound like you didn't to try to hard at your degree:

it would have been a slog Perhaps it wasn't the right thing for you.

Is there anything you've ever really wanted?

Is there anything you'd love to do in life? What did you like to do when you were a child. What lit you up? What could you do for hours and hours?

BarrierST0P5 Fri 23-Jun-17 17:28:30

Have you looked into career versus family life - work/life balance ?
Career may not be the right path for you

Career, I think you really need to find out what you want to do that you are passionate about
Then you could investigate costs of retraining
You also have to take into account that employers sometimes want people with experience in a field of work, so how would you achieve this eg through volunteering, training course ?
I think the job market is quite tough

Or you could not do the work option, but find a hobby that you are passionate about instead

I would pick one thing and aim to achieve that and work onwards onto other things

Zippydoodah Sat 24-Jun-17 09:43:47

Thanks all. I do agree it's not the best timing right now which makes me a tad impatient. I am no spring chicken.

I did get some careers advice from the government service and they gave me some pointers for training. Just finding the time berween work and the kids is impossible right now. That makes me feel a bit crappy because others seem to be able to do it and you get the usual 'if you wanted to. ..'

I am out of practice with study too. My brain doesn't work as well and confidence is shot.

Back to the past, a lot of stuff I'd have wanted to do might not suit now. I was quite good at concentrated work but realise a certain amount of contact with people is good for me, which is a big plus where I am now.

Regarding progession. Yes and no. A managerial position wouldn't suit my persoanlity but sometimes opportunities come up at head office. Probably only admin type roles but they are better paid though this could be offset by a further commute

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in