Talk

Advanced search

Mid life job crisis

(13 Posts)
Nasreen Fri 16-Jun-17 16:24:46

Mid forties and struggling to work out which direction to take next.
I have previuously worked as an LSA, parent supporter for another site not disimilar to MN and a teacher (that really was in a former life!).

Currently volunteering for a local food bank and for Citizens Advice, but desperately need a paid job.

Have considered re training, but unsure in what and how I could fund it. I have been job hunting almost continously for the last six months, but to no avail (have attended a few interviews).

I enjoy the CA work, even though it is challenging and does require some commitment. I have the opportunity to attend training as and when and to really acquire some valuable skills e.g customer service, IT, research and written. Not sure whether to persevere with CA to build some experience and hopefully find suitable employment that way, or what to do!

Can anyone of a similar age relate to my situation?

Thanks.

OP’s posts: |
NiceCardigan Sun 18-Jun-17 17:18:31

Aren't there any paid roles within citizens advice? I started as a volunteer and the became a paid debt worker

Nasreen Sun 18-Jun-17 21:34:40

Yes they do come up occasionally these jobs. Need to build some experience up first I think. How long did you volunteer for NiceCardigan?

NiceCardigan Sun 18-Jun-17 21:55:59

I think I'd been there about a year when a benefit/debt adviser job came up.

Babyroobs Tue 20-Jun-17 13:33:23

At the CA where I work paid roles occasionally come up occasionally but not very often. there have been a few admin type jobs recently. they do usually get filled by people who have previously been volunteers though so keep applying.

Iloveantiques Tue 20-Jun-17 13:34:52

How about advise work within a local authority / charity / housing association? CA don't have a monopoly on advice work.

Iloveantiques Tue 20-Jun-17 13:35:22

And I can use advise / advice properly blush

SunnySomer Tue 20-Jun-17 13:40:07

I totally relate, but as I'm in the same boat can't really offer any advice! However, will follow with interest!

redphonebox Wed 21-Jun-17 08:44:59

I agree with a PP, maybe look at advice work in local government or an agency?

I know this isn't for everyone but one of my best friends works for Jobcentre Plus as an adviser and loves it. She's really good with people. Look on the civil service jobs website, or jobsgopublic?

Nasreen Fri 23-Jun-17 12:49:42

Thanks for all your replies.

Redbox, I did apply to the civil service for a Job coach role. Failed at the online situatuional test, so that was that. That said, I will re apply if a job comes up again, as I would like to do that kind of work.

I am going to persever with CAB and try to build up some knowledge and experience. Hopefully, something will come up before I reach retirement age! smile

Nasreen Fri 23-Jun-17 12:50:59

P.S apologies for typing errors, brain and fingers not working at same speed! :-)

emilycrosby Fri 23-Jun-17 14:28:52

I know how you feel! I've always to find the right job and really struggled getting back into work after having kids. But I think it was two years ago, I used this online CV directory called DYWAJ (don't count me on this!) and found a job pretty quick!

Have you tried these? smile

Nasreen Fri 23-Jun-17 14:44:34

I haven't heard of that one Emily, but will certainly have a look, thanks!

Yes it is hard, but I need to make things happen.

At the moment, I am ploughing alot of time and energy into CAB, in the hope that it will help me gain employment somewhere else. Someone please tell me it will be worth it in the long run! :-)

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in