Talk

Advanced search

District Nurse/ Health Visitor Training

(8 Posts)
caremummy Tue 13-Jun-17 12:48:18

my step sister is relocating back to the UK from Canada. She will be eligible for NMC registration but due to her training and varied experience, she is finding employment difficult. She trained as an adult nurse in the UK, and has child reg from Australia (moved there first). Whilst she has seven years Nursing experience from Canada and Australia, she has technically no UK reg experience. Would she still be able to work towards becoming a District nurse/Health visitor and do the course? thanks x

caremummy Tue 13-Jun-17 12:49:44

I should say her experience is hospital based x

rizlett Tue 13-Jun-17 12:51:03

Is she still registered or has her Pin lapsed?

She can do a return to practice course and look at the nhs website specifically for sponsored community nursing ones.

comeback.hee.nhs.uk/apply

rizlett Tue 13-Jun-17 12:52:32

If she still has current Pin then she can apply via nhs jobs for community nurse roles - you don't have to have had experience.

Also maybe consider practice nurse roles - gp surgeries are desperate.

caremummy Tue 13-Jun-17 12:53:07

thanks, her pin lapsed but only a few months ago x

jimijack Tue 13-Jun-17 12:54:03

Health visitor is a stand alone job, different training completely but can be done as an add on to nursing. I think it's a degree course over 2-3 years. Bursaries have now stopped, so it may be a self funded course, I'm not 100% sure.

She can do district nursing with her nursing qualifications, just a case of finding a job in her area.

jimijack Tue 13-Jun-17 12:58:31

RIZLET, I'm going be out of work in 3 weeks, all gp surgeries are asking for degree level or above for practice nurse roles which rules me out. They are not desperate ime.
I have no choices except nursing homes or ward work where they advertise continuously because they can't get anyone willing to put up with the shite conditions for shite pay.
Qualified for 25 years, on the scrap heap.

rizlett Tue 13-Jun-17 13:52:11

jimi maybe its a geographical thing - in my area gp surgeries are desperate and will take any nurse with current pin or even train up a HCA.

our community nursing team has been advertising for a band 5's for 2 years without success!

you do need a degree for our band 6's.

care - I believe your sister will need to do a return to practice course - she can check on the nmc website.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now