Talk

Advanced search

Am I too old to train in nursing?poss career change at 41

(11 Posts)
rainbowlou Mon 12-Jun-17 21:29:42

I've wanted to train as a nurse since I was about 15, my social life regrettably got in the way and never did it.
I've worked with children (nanny/support worker/TA) ever since and now seriously considering a career change.
I'm worried I'm too old and I won't be able to afford it!! Does anyone have any advice or experiences to share to help me make my mind up? Thank you x

katiegg Mon 12-Jun-17 21:33:06

no at all! i regularly come across older nursing students (in a hospital doctor). before i left to go on maternity leave, there was a student in her late thirties on placement in our department. when i had ds2, i was looked after on the post-natal ward by a newly qualified midwife who was 42.

If it's what you want to do, go for it and do t let your age hold you back. smile

JaneEyre70 Mon 12-Jun-17 21:34:42

I nearly did it when I turned 40, and they were very welcoming on the course open day that I did. There was a mix of half younger/half mature students, and they liked that you had life experience. What put me off was that my A levels were too old to count for the course, so I needed to do a 1 year Access course, then the 3 year nursing degree. I also worked in a care home for 2 years to get the relevant personal care experience. I wish I'd done it when you had the choice of a diploma and not just the degree.

rainbowlou Mon 12-Jun-17 21:39:58

Thank you for your replies..I feel a bit 'stuck' in my work now and my children are getting older.
I'm definitely going to enquire some more x

SerfTerf Mon 12-Jun-17 21:48:22

You'll still have 15-20 years of career left on qualifying! That doesn't sound "too late".

rainbowlou Mon 12-Jun-17 21:50:47

When you put it like that no it doesn't! Thank you x

JaneEyre70 Mon 12-Jun-17 21:56:49

Go to your nearest uni open day.....it's a really good chance to chat to the tutors and other students. They can give you a better idea of where to start. A friend of mine trained as a midwife at 44, and she loves it....she's already been promoted and is moving up the ladder fairly quickly as she's very confident and keen. Her age hasn't been a remote disadvantage.

rainbowlou Mon 12-Jun-17 22:04:41

Thank you Jane x

user1495915742 Thu 15-Jun-17 15:51:46

No, of course not! We're all going to be working forever at this rate so you'll have 20+ years of working....

I'm mid-40s and have just got an NHS job. I may go back to Uni to do a masters if all goes well.

Go to some open days. They also seem to be introducing a nurse practitioner role so see if that is of any interest.

Very best of luck. Your life experience is a bonus not a hinderance!

user1495915742 Thu 15-Jun-17 15:56:01

Sorry, I think it's Associate not Practitioner.

Looks like they are introducing apprenticeships though:-

www.nhsemployers.org/news/2017/05/nurse-degree-apprenticeship-now-available

rainbowlou Sat 17-Jun-17 08:28:43

Thanks user that's really helpful x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now