Talk

Advanced search

Back to work in two weeks but mum diagnosed with cancer for the second time

(9 Posts)
Danimac333 Wed 31-May-17 07:23:28

Hi there, really struggling mum just been diagnosed with cancer for the second time in 4 years! DD1 is 4, and DD2 is 8 months! I'm due back to work in two weeks, was struggling at the thought of going back but knew it needed to happen but now im at a loss! DD1 was 4 months at the first diagnosis and now this, we still have to undergo scans etc to determine the seriousness. Mum was due to help provide with childcare too! Very close with mum, only child so a lot falls on my shoulder. Could I possibly speak to doctor to see if I could get a sick line for another few weeks off until I get my head round it all, don't think my work are going to be very understanding at all over this. Appreciate any advice you can give me.

user1495915742 Wed 31-May-17 08:10:59

Do you need to go back financially? Is there any way you can negotiate reduced hours?

I wouldn't try for another couple of weeks off. It would set you off on the wrong foot with work IMO.

LIZS Wed 31-May-17 08:24:51

Do you have any accrued leave to use up?

Danimac333 Wed 31-May-17 08:33:26

Yeah think I may need to go down the reduced hours route, I've been with them a very long time, only time away has been maternity. Financially we couldn't do it, I need to earn something especially for the future.

user1495915742 Wed 31-May-17 08:49:01

Danimac, stress that you really want to get back to work but you need to help your Mum in short term while she is poorly. As soon as she is back to good health, you can return to normal. I don't think that's an unreasonable request. If you're a good member of staff I would be understanding.

Sorry to hear about your Mum by the way.

Danimac333 Wed 31-May-17 08:50:40

Thank you, just trying to work out childcare costs etc. Really struggling today I'm very scared, can't begin to imagine how she feels. What a horrible disease cancer is, thought we had seen the last of it! She's only 52

user1495915742 Wed 31-May-17 14:26:24

It's horrid but it's out of your control so you just have to do what you can to support your Mum and keep all the balls in the air. Reduced hours will help hopefully.

Try to be strong and positive. flowers

Danimac333 Wed 31-May-17 15:49:08

Spoke to work, getting support and reduced hours! Thank you for replying earlier I just needed someone to put me in the right direction!

user1495915742 Wed 31-May-17 16:52:18

That's great news! I hope your Mum makes a speedy recovery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now