Talk

Advanced search

Shall I take the plunge and go it alone?

(3 Posts)
InvisibleAt53 Sun 28-May-17 19:43:05

I've been trying for months to get a job and despite years of experience, it seems my age has now become a barrier to being taken seriously.

So, after doing some training to bring myself up-to-date in my chosen area, Digital Marketing, I think I'll start up on my own. As there's quite a bit of competition in this area, I thought I would go out to some local businesses and offer to do some free work in order to build up a portfolio of clients. Then I can start charging when I have that experience and those testimonials under my belt.

My weakness is that I may come across as confident but I am very shy when it comes to selling myself, particularly cold calling. I know that putting myself in front of people is going to be much better than doing some kind of e-mail or FB advertising but the prospect of cold-calling brings me out in a sweat. Any advice out there on how best to start?

user1470584717 Tue 30-May-17 19:45:25

I know someone who got into marketing started off by helping out in school PTA, she organised a lot of events (even outside school), make lots of contacts with people/companies/shops etc. Make advertisements, generally lots of marketing skills in practice where you can put on CV. May be it is something you like to consider?

Clavender Thu 22-Jun-17 14:16:10

Try networking events, you would have to sell yourself a bit, but safe in the knowledge that that's why everyone's there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now