Talk

Advanced search

Job interview - filtering email

(10 Posts)
milkmoustache Mon 22-May-17 09:47:41

I have an interview this week for a very p/t role for a sizeable charity, mostly involving managing and filtering their sizable inbox.
I have had a long break from work, haven't used Outlook in a work capacity, so am frantically trying to teach myself before the 20 min test at the interview.
Have had a quick look, and I know how to create folders and move emails onto them, I think I will need to show how to create rules, and categorise emails using colour, but what else should I try to master? Any suggestions would be so helpful, this job could be a foot in the door which I am desperate to achieve!

milkmoustache Mon 22-May-17 13:14:18

Anyone ..?

purpleshortcake Mon 22-May-17 13:23:30

Setting up out of office alerts? I think you already said you're looking at Rules and Alerts and Categorisation. If it's linked to a Microsoft Dynamics database there may be some tracking of emails....if you look at all the options when you right click on on email and look at File / Account Information it should give you most of what you'd use routinely. Good luck!

MaverickSnoopy Mon 22-May-17 13:37:23

How to sort and search emails, how to flag emails, how to add a read receipt to emails, how to put voting buttons on emails (although lower priority to learn I would say) and how to send an email at a particular time. I would also familiarise yourself with sending a meeting request and sharing your calendar, or opening a shared calendar.

For a job filtering emails you would need to know how to sort by sender so that you don't miss out on the whole email trial. Say Jo Bloggs emails on 01/05/17, 10/05/17 and 13/05/17 and you've been out of the office, filtering by sender allows you to immediately see all of those emails so you don't miss anything. Equally if there are several people in on the conversation then you sort by subject to allow you to see all of the emails. It's things like this that speed up your working day and if you are asked competency based questions this could come up as a possible answer.

milkmoustache Mon 22-May-17 14:55:05

Thanks, very good pointers.

milkmoustache Thu 25-May-17 18:20:27

After all that, they ditched the filtering exercise and went for a standard interview! But the prep did certainly boost my confidence - and I got the job!! It's definitely a job with real opportunities, so thanks for the tips.

NellieBuff Thu 25-May-17 18:22:12

Congratulations and well done!

SunEgg Thu 25-May-17 18:22:23

Congratulations OP! smile

GeekyWombat Thu 25-May-17 18:31:55

Congratulations, that's awesome news!

MaverickSnoopy Sun 28-May-17 16:45:08

Well done! Excellent news!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now