Talk

Advanced search

Career change - can't decide

(3 Posts)
CountryLovingGirl Sun 30-Apr-17 17:05:02

Hi,

I have a place on a Public Health Masters degree to try and move into this area (12 month course). I have worked in the NHS for many years (pathology) but have crazy working hours now due to extended service provisions (we are seriously short staffed so this makes things worse). As a result I hardly see my children as I am always off work when they are at school. Constantly working well over my 37.5 hours a week too (I only went full time in 2015 so this has been massive for me)!

I want to quit and re-train. Very worried about money though as I am the biggest earner in the house. I can get a £10K loan for the MSc but worried I won't get a job at the end.

I would've liked to have done a science PGCE but I am fully aware that teachers are going through very similar things to NHS staff right now and my gut feeling is that I should stay well clear.

Is there anyone out there who works in public health who could give me wise words?

CountryLovingGirl Sun 30-Apr-17 17:06:25

I have applied for one of 2 lecturing posts, at a local university, to try and get into that area too. I really don't want to throw away my background but I am being forced to by NHS cuts.

sausagedogrolls Sun 30-Apr-17 22:00:54

I assume you are clear on the job you want to get when you finish your course? How many are being advertised? Are they close to home? Could you make contact with the contact name on the ad and run it by them?

I'm not NHS but am finding there are too many candidates for jobs in my area. It used to be the opposite situation. Looking to change myself...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now