Talk

Advanced search

Punchy covering letter for long time sahm, any help appreciated.

(3 Posts)
ThroughThickAndThin01 Tue 25-Apr-17 08:09:06

Have been thinking about going back into the workplace for a couple of years now, but timing hasn't been right until now.

Could someone help me with a few pointers as to what would make a good covering letter to make up for my drab cv for someone of my age and position?

I've been a sahm for 18 years. I worked until I had ds2 at 35, then stayed at home as it was easier for both myself and DH, quite honestly, especially as we then had DS3.

Now DH company not doing quite so well so extra money would be useful. And I'm bored at home, and need a challenge, neither of which I can actually say (I don't think?)

I want to apply to be a Medical Receptionist. My 50th birthday has passed, and I haven't been in the workplace for sooooo long.

What can I say in a shiny sparkly covering letter which would prevent my drab grey cv being thrown straight into the bin? I think I would do well if I got to interview stage.

I've applied for one position, and heard nothing. Another post has come up which would be in the perfect location. (But has already had 50+ applications 😟)

Any help would be amazing.

millifiori Tue 25-Apr-17 14:54:41

Be unapologetic about your SAHM status. Say that you are returning to work after a career break to raise children. You are reliable, keen, mature and responsible.

If you did any voluntary work during your SAHM period, I'd consolidate the skills you developed (you will have some if you ever worked on PTA/playgroup/fundraising etc.) and show how they are relevant to the role you're applying for.

E.g. I am confident in using Excel, having been Treasurer for a local charity (no need to say it's the PTA) for a number of years. My role as volunteer for the area Foodbank has helped me develop the social skills to put others at their ease whilst maintaining clear boundaires, which I think would be well suited to the role of medical receptionist.

That sort of spin. Good luck!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Tue 25-Apr-17 17:33:07

Thank you milli that's very helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now