Talk

Advanced search

Would I be crazy to turn a job down?

(6 Posts)
greengoose21 Sun 23-Apr-17 18:49:36

Having had a nightmare experience with a bullying manager in my last job, I left with a payoff that's worth about six months wages. I'm one month in, so not desperate yet - but I would like that money to become a bonus/savings pot, rather than just spend six months living off it.

I've started looking for a job, and I've sent a few applications out over the past few weeks, but I haven't seen any jobs that look perfect for me. I've had two unsuccessful interviews for jobs that were similar/slightly below the responsibilities of my previous role. I've now been offered a contract post in my field, but considerably junior to my previous job. It would only pay me about 70% of what I previously earned, and I'd be incurring expenses that would be about £300 extra each month.

Would it be stupid of me to turn down a job - any job - at this point?

I know that its harder to get a job when you don't have one. I also know that it's a big risk financially to have nothing coming in (I am the main earner in the family). I would be happy to work in the organisation in question if it were at a more suitable level, and the manager seemed pleasant. I also haven't worked due to the situation in my old job for nearly 7 months so really need to get back to it - I think perhaps I've just become comfortable being at home, and part of my reluctance is because I'm liking the freedom of not working.

But...if I take the job I won't be able to interview or actively pursue other more suitable opportunities. By the time I've factored in travel and expenses, I'll be taking home half what I previously earned, and my days will be two hours longer. I feel like I run the risk of getting stuck at the lower level, rather than applying for jobs that are as senior as my most recent one.

So do you think it is crazy, lazy, risky or generally insane to turn down a job in my situation?

SlB09 Sun 23-Apr-17 18:52:05

Sounds like your hearts not in it and youve already kind of made the decision. Go with your gut is my only advice x

bluebelltippytoes Mon 24-Apr-17 00:09:18

No, turn it down and be patient.

I totally disagree that it is harder to get a job when you don't have one. It is far easier to go for interviews when you're not trying to hold down a full time job. It also gives you the edge over other candidates as you are ready to start sooner than someone who needs to hand their notice in.

bluebelltippytoes Mon 24-Apr-17 00:10:24

Also, you'll be asked what your current salary is and run the risk of getting pigeonholed at that level.

newnoo Mon 24-Apr-17 11:00:54

It's tough being paid less than you feel you're worth...

How are things looking for further interviews and applications?

I'd suggest getting really busy with looking for appropriate roles asap as otherwise you just have this guilt/worry hanging over you about what to do next.

People are quite different. My husband would take the job you described as he would prefer to have any job. He hates being unemployed. But I'm more of a risk taker and would probably hang in there out work - but be actively searching every day for new roles to apply for.

I agree it does become harder to find a job the longer you are off - because of the confidence thing. It's true you have plenty of time to search for work and go for interviews - but something strange can happen to your confidence where you start to question yourself etc.

Does the contract role have anything positive about it? Like more exposure to something new within the industry?

Also as it's a contract role, I wouldn't feel bad about having time off as you'll be paid by the day? So you could take the odd day off here and there maybe for interviews?

Perhaps you could try it for a few weeks and see how it goes? I like contract work as you can just walk out any time and it feels more free of office politics smile

Also, you could set up as an limited company and that could make it financially much more viable?

greengoose21 Mon 24-Apr-17 13:44:35

Thanks for the advice everyone. I just needed a bit of reassurance, and I got it, thank you.

I've turned this one down, and spent the morning firing applications off. I will look into the limited company thing newnoo. I was planning to use an umbrella company as its less confusing to a newbie contractor - but I may hop over to the Freelance and Self Employed board and do some more research.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now