Talk

Advanced search

Change of career - floristry ?

(3 Posts)
Coffeepleeeaase Fri 21-Apr-17 12:36:39

I am currently at home with a baby and don't want to go back to my previous job. I'm Seeing this as an opportunity to learn something new. I would quite like to become a florist it's something I'm quite interested in. I've already had a look at some college course and also private courses. One of Which I am thinking of enrolling on. Just thought I'd post on here to see if anyone has any tips or advice on floristry and becoming a florist ?

iseenodust Fri 21-Apr-17 13:08:49

No personal experience but have two friends who have (separately) set up business from home doing flowers for special occasions. Both seem to be busy but not sure how profitable.

bluebelltippytoes Sat 22-Apr-17 22:02:01

It's poorly paid, hard work and very cold/dirty. You need to be physically fit as there is lots of lifting, shifting and all day spent on your feet. Metal buckets of water and wrought iron candelabras are heavy!

It's not for everyone. Go and get some experience before you fork out money for a course.

It's very tough for florists at the moment. There is massive competition from the supermarkets and online retailers. The pound is also weak at the moment which means that flowers, the majority of which come through Holland, are £££.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now