Talk

Advanced search

Finding part time work

(3 Posts)
beetrootsalad Thu 13-Apr-17 17:40:43

I need to find a job ideally 3/4 days a week. All the best roles I've seen are full time. Do I just apply for the full time ones and then ask if there's a chance of part time further down the line or is that just wasting everyone's time??

BackforGood Thu 13-Apr-17 23:15:14

It will depend on
a) the mindset of the company / person doing the hiring
b) how well your skills / experience match the job spec
c) how much competition there is for the role
d) how much you can convince them they need you even if it is only for half the time they want someone.

Are you after a particular sort of job?
Or just anything?
Can it be a minimum wage job?
Does it need to be 3 or 4 days, daytime hours, or just 60 - 80% of full time?
Would you consider something like being a carer ? They are desperate in our area so you can pick the hours you want.
Then there are lots of zero hours contracts that might not give you a regular 3 or 4 days, but, over a month or two might offer similar % of hours.

bluebelltippytoes Sat 15-Apr-17 08:16:35

I've investigated this a lot!

The conclusion I have come to is that you will have more luck in public sector; NHS, local council, civil service, etc. The majority of private companies want you full time and get very sniffy if you ask for anything slightly out of the ordinary. The only way around this is to temp and make it clear you are looking for a job for 3 to 4 days a week. If they like you, you might get lucky. Having said that, with four days, you might just find you are doing a full time job in four days for 80% pay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now