Talk

Advanced search

CV Personal Statement

(6 Posts)
hisunshine Thu 13-Apr-17 14:10:25

Hi everyone!

I'm currently a job seeker and it's been, let's say, really depressing.
I've already sent over 200 CVs, got a few phone and 2 onsite interviews but that's it. I blame myself, obviously. I have work experience but not the "right" one. I'm not a native English speaker. I used to think that my English was good, now I start to think that it's keeping me to get the jobs I want. I feel anxious and I start making silly mistakes.
I've reviewed my CV over and over again. I've asked two recruiters to give me their honest feedback. The same "It's good... maybe put some numbers!" And that's it. Apparently I'm not making any grammar mistakes on my CV still getting no luck.
I decided to change my Personal Statement and I've created a new one. Can you be honest with me and let me know what you think?

I'm getting desesperate, to be honest. I feel I have no future. I love this country, I love my life here, but I feel I'm lost. If you'd like to share your stories and thoughts about job hunt I'd be more than pleased to read them.

Thanks yall!

Warm hugs!

BTW, this is my Personal Statement... Are there any mistakes?

"My B.A. Degree gave me the opportunity to learn about Marketing and Business. Creating a business gave me the chance to dig into digital marketing strategies, such as SEO. I am a native speaker of Brazilian-Portuguese with a C1 Certificate in English. I am looking for an entry-level/junior Marketing/Communications position where I can develop and bring my skills from my past work experience. I am eligible to work in the UK."

I really appreciate all your help.

newnoo Mon 17-Apr-17 18:47:35

I would suggest making your Personal Statement more evidence-based.

Look up evidence-based CV on google to find out more.

What did you achieve? How can you quantify your experience? What results did you achieve? How do you stand out skills did you learn compared to other candidates?

hisunshine Mon 17-Apr-17 19:15:59

Hi newnoo, thanks for your reply! I'll definitely look up on Google.

I'd say I don't have many achievements. In fact, I think I have none that would put me on a higher standard than the other candidates. But I'll keep going. smile

Thanks again for the suggestion. I'll definitely use your questions as guides for my new personal statement.

newnoo Mon 17-Apr-17 21:18:24

You're very welcome - I hope it may help.
Generally your CV should be as evidence based as possible.

Also, there seems to be a school of thought that you don't need to have a personal statement at all. Having one can mean employers see it and get distracted by it and don't look further into your achievements and experience which can mean you miss out on jobs if they don't like your personal statement - even though you may have had a good skills match to the job.

I've never used one - well I did for a while but it was one line.

I might try to reduce yours down to

"Bright, fired-up multi-lingual Marketing and Communications graduate seeks junior role at <XYZ agency/company>" Insert in the kind of company you are applying to.

Or something like that - maybe something with a bit more oomph?

For digital marketing - take some of Google's free courses?

Good luck!

rumred Tue 18-Apr-17 13:45:06

Agree with newnoo employers want evidence of your work.

And just to say your English is excellent throughout it and your posts. I wouldn't have known it's your second language

LonginesPrime Tue 18-Apr-17 14:46:00

OP, I always tailor my personal statement to the job specification to show people I'm exactly what they're looking for even thought I'm probably not. I have a stock of various sentences I use, but I always adapt it for the job I'm applying for and pick out key words from the advert/job spec.

I agree with what PP have said about evidence too, I tend to say a sentence about previous roles which described what I did and then bullet point three or so things I did which show how I added value and/or how I meet their selection criteria.

On the whole, I personally found it was a bit of a waste of time to send out generic applications/CVs, although I always have a couple of stock CVs ready for those emergencies where someone says 'I can add you to the pile if you can send your CV by the end of the day'. For this, I have one CV for each of the main types of employers I'd be applying to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now