Talk

Advanced search

Open University degrees- good career prospects?

(11 Posts)
user1472582572 Wed 29-Mar-17 21:01:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Kennington Wed 29-Mar-17 21:03:53

Cannot comment on the arts but I have recruited scientists from OU.
It certainly demonstrates a bit of get up and go and I like it very much.

OdinsLoveChild Wed 29-Mar-17 22:52:52

Hmmm I have found some employers like them some don't although my experience is that more don't.

I have a BA in English Literature (Arts) from OU and I cant find anyone to give me any opportunity at all. It seems to hold more standing when promoting staff from within a company rather than recruiting from outside. Ive applied for all sorts but initially I was aiming for education/the arts. Now I'm applying for anything at all that may vaguely meet my skill set.

Some potential employers really valued the fact I had worked my ass off to gain a degree while juggling children and family life (SEN child too) without having someone shout down my ear to attend lectures and that I had chosen to study because I wanted to improve my chances at employment etc but they still didn't employ me

Several recruiters have commented that they aren't sure I didn't cheat/have extra help/just copy and paste answers etc they were quite offensive. Also I had 1 brick university say they wont take OU students because the courses aren't rigorous enough in their opinion and they felt OU students really struggled with time limits and producing the standard of work required. OU will never tell you that you can gain entry to a brick University/Graduate employment opportunities via one of their courses, they're very strict on that.

Its sort of 50/50 really. If you are going to do a BA Humanities etc make sure its something you value yourself and that you will enjoy doing it. Theres nothing worse than doing a degree in a subject to get employment just to find you cant find employment anyway and you hate the subject.

user1472582572 Fri 31-Mar-17 23:03:15

newnoo Sat 01-Apr-17 14:29:58

I'd be wary of studying the arts and literature without a clear idea of what you want to do afterwards.

I'd suggest starting there (your end goal) and working backwards.

There may be other ways to achieve what you want, without having to even go.

What were your A-Levels like?

And why OU?

Most importantly what would you love to do? Do you want to write? Do you want work for a museum, in theatre, in radio, maybe in design or marketing? Law even?

user1472582572 Sat 01-Apr-17 16:04:40

newnoo Sun 02-Apr-17 14:38:41

www.gsmd.ac.uk/youth_adult_learning/guildhall_creative_entrepreneurs/about_creative_entrepreneurs/join_the_scheme/

?

Or perhaps some other sort of Theatre/TV course?

www.thestage.co.uk/training/theatre_arts/courses - mostly based in London though.

If you were able to get out and see progress, then perhaps your anxiety and depression might recede a bit? Are you getting help managing them?

How is your LO? When s/he is at full-time school you will get more time to pursue your life again. But if s/he is still little I know that can feel a life-time away.

There are other things you can do in the meantime.

Do you know Holly McNish? She's just won the Ted Hughes poetry prize.

You can always just start and begin doing your own thing. Only need a website... etc.

daisypond Sun 02-Apr-17 15:41:18

I think getting your foot in the door and work experience, volunteering will help more than a degree in getting a job in TV, theatre, etc. You don't need a degree for writing, reading and performing - just start to do them.

newnoo Sun 02-Apr-17 16:15:12

yes daisypond you are right.

I totally agree. It's just OP was wondering about uni and exams and stuff.

But if it was me, I'd be applying for internships, work experience, volunteering.

And then consider studying later. Studying is good but there's nothing like rolling your sleeves up.

Good for networking too which can lead to a job.

daisypond Sun 02-Apr-17 20:43:37

I'd be wary of doing an arts/humanities subject, tbh, unless you're sure you know what you want to get out of it. I've got an English degree from a top "normal" uni, and while I enjoyed it immensely and got a lot out of it, I don't think it's really a good subject for future employment. Now, with tuition fees, I think you need to consider very carefully. I know two people who did humanities degrees (part time) with the OU, both with the aim of becoming teachers. Both finished and graduated, and did teaching training - their OU degrees were accepted for that - but both hated teaching and lasted about a year. With OU it can be quite isolating and quite a few people drop out. You need to be disciplined.

user1472582572 Sun 02-Apr-17 22:40:06

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now