Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AAT for part time accountancy administration positions?

(7 Posts)
Saltedcaramel2016 Mon 20-Mar-17 10:51:22

I am currently working from home but my job is under constant threat, plus I am a bit bored of it but it fits around my kids so I keep on going with it.

Locally, a lot of the part time jobs that are advertised seem to be accountancy admin roles. I have no direct experience in this area although I have worked in general admin and secretarial roles before and my current position involves working with data.

My local college offers an evening course in AAT from September (2 evenings a week) and I am thinking of enrolling on it. Do you think this would give me a good basis to apply for accounts administration positions? Also I am 41 so worry they would want someone younger! Though no doubt I will be working for another nearly 30 years.

Figroller Mon 20-Mar-17 17:34:21

Hi salted, I'm in the same position as you so sorry I don't have any advice. I am considering starting this course in September as lots of vacancies advertise for AAT or part qualified AAT.

At my local college it costs £1400 for the first year then I think it jumped to £2500 for the second and third year! I was hoping to find a job with paid training but not had much luck. I am trying to think of it in terms of investing in my future.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do and I hope somebody will be along soon with some good advice smile

Thegruffalowswife Mon 20-Mar-17 17:35:56

AAT is great and can serve as a stepping stone towards chartered accountancy too. I'd say go for it.

BarchesterFlowers Mon 20-Mar-17 17:37:42

It would be a great start. I employed someone who had done just that, AAT from the bottom up combined with volunteering as treasurer for a couple of very small organisations, think school PTA, Village hall committee, etc., etc..

MrsPnut Mon 20-Mar-17 17:37:56

AAT is a great practical grounding for accountancy and at our local college it costs about £900 for the first year.

BarchesterFlowers Mon 20-Mar-17 17:42:25

I know that L4 is very expensive (in class) these days because of where it sits on the qualifications ladder, I arranged funding as an employer, Figroller's £2.5k is what it cost my firm.

hazelnutlatte Mon 20-Mar-17 17:59:35

I was working in a call centre when I started to do my AAT. I'd been on the course for just two months before I got an accounts job. Better still, my new job paid the fees for the rest of the course! So yes I'd say it's a good plan to start the course even if you don't have a relevant job yet.
Saying that, I no longer work in accounts because I found it really boring!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now