Talk

Advanced search

AAT for part time accountancy administration positions?

(7 Posts)
Saltedcaramel2016 Mon 20-Mar-17 10:51:22

I am currently working from home but my job is under constant threat, plus I am a bit bored of it but it fits around my kids so I keep on going with it.

Locally, a lot of the part time jobs that are advertised seem to be accountancy admin roles. I have no direct experience in this area although I have worked in general admin and secretarial roles before and my current position involves working with data.

My local college offers an evening course in AAT from September (2 evenings a week) and I am thinking of enrolling on it. Do you think this would give me a good basis to apply for accounts administration positions? Also I am 41 so worry they would want someone younger! Though no doubt I will be working for another nearly 30 years.

Figroller Mon 20-Mar-17 17:34:21

Hi salted, I'm in the same position as you so sorry I don't have any advice. I am considering starting this course in September as lots of vacancies advertise for AAT or part qualified AAT.

At my local college it costs £1400 for the first year then I think it jumped to £2500 for the second and third year! I was hoping to find a job with paid training but not had much luck. I am trying to think of it in terms of investing in my future.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do and I hope somebody will be along soon with some good advice smile

Thegruffalowswife Mon 20-Mar-17 17:35:56

AAT is great and can serve as a stepping stone towards chartered accountancy too. I'd say go for it.

BarchesterFlowers Mon 20-Mar-17 17:37:42

It would be a great start. I employed someone who had done just that, AAT from the bottom up combined with volunteering as treasurer for a couple of very small organisations, think school PTA, Village hall committee, etc., etc..

MrsPnut Mon 20-Mar-17 17:37:56

AAT is a great practical grounding for accountancy and at our local college it costs about £900 for the first year.

BarchesterFlowers Mon 20-Mar-17 17:42:25

I know that L4 is very expensive (in class) these days because of where it sits on the qualifications ladder, I arranged funding as an employer, Figroller's £2.5k is what it cost my firm.

hazelnutlatte Mon 20-Mar-17 17:59:35

I was working in a call centre when I started to do my AAT. I'd been on the course for just two months before I got an accounts job. Better still, my new job paid the fees for the rest of the course! So yes I'd say it's a good plan to start the course even if you don't have a relevant job yet.
Saying that, I no longer work in accounts because I found it really boring!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: