Talk

Advanced search

Step up to social work

(26 Posts)
CopperBoomCopperBoom Fri 03-Mar-17 23:57:26

Anyone looking to apply? Any social workers who could offer opinions on the scheme?

malificent7 Wed 15-Mar-17 16:10:25

Bump... am also interested in this.

CopperBoomCopperBoom Wed 29-Mar-17 12:57:39

Applications are open..

user1467383836 Wed 29-Mar-17 17:41:09

I was on the first cohort of step up in 2010, I really liked it. It's very intense and fast paced.

I did feel underprepared for the real life of social work, as you are so protected as a student. That said, I think I would have felt the same if I'd completed a typical social work course too.

Any questions, feel free to ask smile

alltouchedout Wed 29-Mar-17 17:53:32

It's very short compared to the typical BA (3 years) or MA (2 years). That could be seen as a positive- you get finished and into work more quickly- or a negative- you're rushed through and have to start work before you are really ready.
I think it's only for social work with children and families, so if adult or mental health social work interests you, Step Up isn't the way to go (although iirc a similar fast track route for mh social work, Think Ahead or something similar, is either planned or has started).

It wouldn't have been for me. I found the MA intense enough. Juggling practice placement, demanding essays, childcare and home life was tough. Also, I just would not have felt ready to practice after such a short training course- although that's always going to vary, and as a pp has said, many people don't feel ready to practice after the MA or BA either.

One thing that might be an issue is that there is some... resentment of Step Up trainees by established social workers, or other nqsws who came in through the traditional routes. It really didn't help that Step Up programmes were talked about as the way to attract academic high flyers and future leaders into the profession, implying that other entry routes only brought in thick eejits and people who'd have trouble leading a team of one. But most social workers won't actually care how you got here, as long as you're a good worker once you're in post.

user1467383836 Thu 30-Mar-17 08:24:25

I would agree with alltouchedout if I had children when I did step up, I'm not sure how I would have done it. (Hats off to you for doing MA and having children! I don't think I could do that!) however some people on my course did have children and they completed the course.

Also a good point around negativity. I haven't experienced any personally, but Ian aware if colleagues who have. Like alltouchedout says, no one really is interested how you got there as long as you are a good worker.

Interestingly I don't know anyone on my course who has gone on to a management role yet....and we are now 5 years qualified.... ;)

user1490990350 Mon 03-Apr-17 01:08:24

It's a great programme which I wish I'd done.

I've qualified the MA route and also have a PHD and can't get a social worker job. I'd have been more employable and got the contact with a step up programme.

Luna7993 Thu 06-Apr-17 11:34:05

I'm thinking of applying to this - although have young children. Am slightly worried, if accepted, how I'll cope with juggling the work/placements/studies, and home life... but I am feeling ready for the challenge.
Interesting to note about negativity from other colleagues. But I think you'd need a pretty thick skin to be in this sector to begin with..

Glowbug59 Mon 01-May-17 16:30:26

Did anyone apply? I did.

LozzaChops101 Wed 03-May-17 16:04:55

I'm just going through the application now. I've been out of work for 16 months, I was a retail buyer before (for 8 years) and always really wished I was doing something else.

I'm very nearly 32, I don't have kids or a partner, I do have a flat that I could rent out to subsidise my studies, but I'm a bit concerned about the financial aspect of existing for 14 months (if I even got close to being accepted) whilst not working.

Is it something that someone could do without financial support from a partner or substantial savings?

Cuppaand2biscuits Fri 05-May-17 12:51:40

I've applied for this. Really hoping to get a place.

Glowbug59 Fri 05-May-17 13:20:45

You get a bursary Lozza, just over £1k a month.

user1487175389 Fri 05-May-17 13:27:13

I applied and was rejected last year. What sort of prior experience do you all have?

Glowbug59 Fri 05-May-17 20:59:04

Ah that's a shame. Volunteering was just helping out at a school so I don't know if that'll be enough, then I've worked in safeguarding for two years.

CopperBoomCopperBoom Sat 24-Jun-17 14:25:49

Anyone through to assessment centre? Wishing everyone good luck!

CopperBoomCopperBoom Tue 27-Jun-17 15:49:04

bump

Tuesday40 Thu 29-Jun-17 14:56:12

Yep am through to assessment centre. I am just swotting up as it's in a few weeks. Did you get through to assessment Cooper?

Glowbug59 Wed 05-Jul-17 06:57:17

Ah well done, I didn't get through. Wonder what I was lacking in.

CopperBoomCopperBoom Fri 21-Jul-17 20:16:39

@Tuesday40 Have you heard yet if you got a place or not? The waiting is terrible..

FrancesHaHa Fri 21-Jul-17 20:24:36

I've just finished my 2nd year MA placement, and there were several step up students there. No resentment towards them that I could see, and most of the social workers didn't seem to distinguish between the BA, MA and step up students/ newly qualifieds.

All of them were starting their ASYE year when I left, and seemed to be getting on well.

However, I've felt the MA too short,considering how much there is to learn, and I worked in children and families before my MA, so not sure i would have managed it myself.

Good luck!

seriouslydudegivemecake Sat 22-Jul-17 17:59:13

I got a place on this programme this week and Im starting in January

CopperBoomCopperBoom Sun 23-Jul-17 19:55:14

Still waiting for an answer..

seriouslydudegivemecake Sun 23-Jul-17 20:26:47

It was such a tough process wasnt it. Hope you find out soon 👍

Anna12344 Fri 28-Jul-17 22:46:33

I am on the reserve list. I'm gutted. No ones is going to miss out on this opportunity so it's torture being a reserve!! Well done on those who passed 🎉 X

malificent7 Tue 15-Aug-17 09:39:16

What is the difference between getting a place or not?

I didnt have my gcse certificates ( and i couldnt afford the £100 for their replacement!! )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now