Talk

Advanced search

Bcak to work after 6 years?

(6 Posts)
ksty Mon 27-Feb-17 14:31:21

I'm at a complete crossroads with my life. I've been a SAHM for nearly 6 years after having our first child, we have 3 children, 5yo, 4yo and 1yo. Youngest has just started at nursery in the last week, for two days 9-3, partly because she is really clingy and partly because I'm studying with the Open University and occasionally help out my husband with paperwork for his business. I feel completely lost!

It feels like now is a good time to return to work but I don't know where to start. I have no qualifications, good GCSE's but left school after that, trained to be a nurse and quit 6 months before qualifying (young, very stupid but not something that I would have wanted as a career). Had a series of admin/customer service jobs up until having the kids. I began studying towards a degree with the OU about 4 years ago and have been doing that part-time, originally starting off in business but found it really dry and lacked motivation so swapped to an Open degree (which basically means I can pick whatever modules I want in whatever areas). Current module is child psychology, I am about half way through my degree.

I'm really not sure what I want to do with my life! I feel that I may want to go into working with young children/families, thinking maybe starting in a nursery with the intention of progressing into family support type roles. I'm not really sure where to start with this or if its even a passing phase as childcare is pretty much all I've done for the past 6 years. I'm also torn thinking that maybe I'll be better off going back to admin/customer service type roles, playing it safe really as I never felt it gave me much satisfaction but I know what's involved at least.

I'm so scared about returning to work, whatever type for loads of reasons and there's so much to consider. We don't have family that can help with childcare, my husband is self-employed whilst he is pretty flexible with his hours there is only him so he still has to do a certain amount of work to earn wages and can only take so much time off, so childcare cost is on our minds. I lack confidence anyway, not working for so long has not helped, I'm dreading the rejections from potential employers. 6 years is a long time to be out of work and I don't know how to complete an application form making it look positive or at least without making the gap look so obvious. Do I put my previous job down as my current one? Can I try putting SAHM down as a job with it looking crap?

Can anyone give me any advice about getting back into work after having such a long time out?

ksty Mon 27-Feb-17 14:35:18

I should also say I live pretty rurally so there isn't a lot of options around either.

Thanks for sticking with me if you got to the end, it's longer than I expected!

Blastandtroph Mon 27-Feb-17 15:01:20

How about contacting local nurseries and offering yourself for 'bank' work? This'll give you the opportunity to get some workplace experience and see if this is something that is right for you/your circumstances.

Other option is voluntary work which'll build confidence in the right environment.

Picking up on your nursing degree, did you receive a diploma for the 2 full years you completed? If not look into this, maybe you can use these as credits against your OU degree if you aren't already doing this

Your time as a SAHM/helping out in DH's business will have given your lots of skills which you can use to update your CV. Plus studying independence alongside, shows commitment and motivation, time management, etc.

You've got a lot to offer.

Blastandtroph Mon 27-Feb-17 15:02:17

Studying independently alongside, rather

Mammawilson Mon 27-Feb-17 16:27:50

I would always reccomend volunteering. Home start always look for volunteers. Look at do-it.org to find something you would like to do and then it fills a gap and gives you experience whilst you decide. I started volunteering for victim support when my youngest was 2 which led to a counselling degree and then finally work. If i hadnt volunteered i would not have realised what area i wanted to work in

lhubb5616 Sat 18-Mar-17 21:17:24

I have no advice, but wanted to say I'm in the same boat as you: I've moved to a more rural setting since having DD and thinking of going back to work now, but haven't got a clue what I want to do! Great tips above, thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now