Advanced search

Career options for uni dropout single mum with no support network

(28 Posts)
user1472582572 Thu 23-Feb-17 13:09:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

user1472582572 Thu 23-Feb-17 19:43:59

BlueDaBaDee Thu 23-Feb-17 19:46:45

With your A levels, could you not get an office job? Maybe bank so it fits in with your child? Possibly look up office angels? Didn't want to read and run flowers

shivermytimbers Thu 23-Feb-17 19:47:26

Noooo! Don't give up! What would be your ideal job?

GotToGetMyFingerOut Thu 23-Feb-17 19:48:17

I'd go to job centre and ask if someone can talk to you and give you some careers advice.

BastardBernie Thu 23-Feb-17 19:53:34

Carer? There's agencies begging for new people, no experience needed, they train you up and you could work your way up the ladder pretty quick if you tried.
Temp admin jobs - get the experience and get into HR if you're motivated.
Never give up! What's that going to achieve for your children? You're gonna have to start at entry level but you'll climb the ladder, it just takes time flowers

Mermaidinthesea Thu 23-Feb-17 19:56:52

Do you have to work right now? You have a small baby, why not wait until he or she is a little older rather than rushing into a job you can't cope with. I did that all the time as a single mum and I should have been at home with my child instead.
Is there any desperate hurry that can't wait a couple of years?
Where is the baby going while you are at work?

SingingSands Thu 23-Feb-17 19:58:31

I second office work.

I was a drop out mess - fell into a black hole of depression, fucked up uni and ended up in a call centre to make ends meet (worst job ever). Then I joined a temp agency, began a job as a secretary, loved it and ended up being offered a permanent position. 15 years on I'm now a senior legal secretary in an international law firm, earn good money and have negotiated my hours around the kids school hours. It's hard work and at times very stressful but it's a good job and I have great colleagues.

Don't give up. It was literally one day that I thought "I deserve better" and just walked into a temping agency.

Mombie2016 Thu 23-Feb-17 19:58:52

Go to a different Uni? Not all are arse holes and unsupportive.

May09Bump Thu 23-Feb-17 20:07:01

Try for entry level admin or mail / scanning room jobs in larger companies, send your CV to them. Don't wait for jobs to get onto sites. Then when you get in, take every opportnity to cross train and do work related courses. I worked my way up to a senior level doing this - I have average GCSES, but was excellent at financial courses and great at my job / networking.

Good luck and if you need more time with your baby, take it. Also, not sure if you considered it but would you go back to UNI - not all are the same with their pastoral care and some have great childcare arrangements.

averythinline Thu 23-Feb-17 20:14:49

If you want to take your education further look at your local colleges often these have nurseries near/attached and prioritise students... (i'm sure some universities do too but have experienced with colleges being more family orientated)
.If you want to work and have retail experience then I know Next and Tesco have been very flexible employers with people I know...
Using past experience is usually the most straightforward way into employment again ....even if your not thinking of doing that long term it can be just an entry point- its generally easier to get a job when you're working..
The NHS can also be very flexible most of the roles go on the NHS Jobs website just put your postcode in and distance - often lots of admin type roles and go can then progress in lots of ways - used to be very supportive of training and development too theres loads of roles that you wouldn't necessarily 'see' from the outside...
Some job centres can be really helpful and help with cv;s etc

hth

Needmorewine Thu 23-Feb-17 20:14:57

Agree with May09 bump - entry level admin in big company would give you a great start. I was a Legal PA for years pre DD and there was plenty of opportunity for promotion.

Also something in a school - not necessarily teaching but school admin / TA work. Plenty on opportunities to work your way up to School Business Manager / Teacher if you want to. I love teaching but it's not for the faint hearted. Term times hard but holidays ace.

If you are still thinking about doing a degree I did mine with the OU when DD was a baby can't recommend highly enough. Good luck.

user1472582572 Thu 23-Feb-17 20:25:00

Needmorewine Thu 23-Feb-17 20:32:12

www.open.ac.uk

Have a look

wobblywonderwoman Thu 23-Feb-17 20:34:04

Amazing a levels.. I would definitely try another university - you owe it to yourself.

What do you want to do at uni?

flowers

MaybeDoctor Thu 23-Feb-17 20:39:56

I say don't rush - have this time with your baby if you can.

Look at online learning. Coursera or FutureLearn. Digital Garage?

Teach yourself how to use bits of web-based software eg. survey monkey, Googledocs.

Get your typing speed up.

All sorts of things can be done from home.

BastardBernie Fri 24-Feb-17 07:01:33

Sack office angels off, find a new agency, there are LOADS. They offer CV Building, careers advice and much much more.
You can do this girl (or boy blush ) dont let a bad experience at Tesco put you off your life goals for you and your child.
I bet if you put your CV on Reed and applied for anything entry level you'd get a lot of offers from all different industries; I know you will because you have the drive (posted on here instead of carrying on the way things are) you just need a bit of a push.
Good luck star

LIZS Fri 24-Feb-17 07:05:50

You could look into apprenticeships , which could assist with relevant training.

SallyGinnamon Fri 24-Feb-17 12:47:46

I'd second TA in a primary school.

I did my training at my local college 1 day pw and did a day at a local school so I was ready to start when DD went to school. That means you're working largely school hours and are off in the hols.

You build up lots of transferable skills e.g. Planning and organising, presentation etc in case you want something different later on.

Blinkyblink Fri 24-Feb-17 12:50:55

Op, are you actually fit to work?

I don't say that to be mean. However after no reaponae to a mumsnet you are sarcastic and don't know why you're bothering with life.

That doesn't sound like the best frame of mind to be working, nor particularly employable.

Skooba Fri 24-Feb-17 12:53:33

I would go back to uni. Hopefully after getting some support for your health issues.

In the long run a uni degree is worth a lot of money.

Especially if you were well into your degree - it really is an important piece of paper to have.

user1472582572 Fri 24-Feb-17 19:29:01

Donthate Fri 24-Feb-17 19:31:12

Go for a higher apprenticeship. The civil service are advertising one in various areas at the moment. It's two years and then you can apply for the faststream.

Slightlyperturbedowlagain Fri 24-Feb-17 19:32:39

You could try looking at some of the newer smaller universities. There are some that work especially hard to provide lots of support for students with health issues and specific learning requirements.

bagpackbagpack Fri 24-Feb-17 19:37:35

Probably going to get flamed for this, but contact centre work can pay pretty well and is usually quite flexible as its shif work. I (not a uni graduate either) an a contractor/consultant and was surprised to learn the collections contact centre I am consulting at pays £17-18k for FT plus quarter bonuses.

It can be pretty tedious work to start with, your measured on every thing you do, but if you stick with it and are quite confident you can make a good career. I actually started out in a contact centre with no qualifications (not even a levels as I did a diploma at college and dropped out) and now I am a self employed consultant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now