Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is there ah hell for married mothers on finding work?

(9 Posts)
sammyjayneex Sat 18-Feb-17 18:57:10

I was just wondering if there is any help or companies that help mothers find work if they are married. My husband works full time and I'm a SAHM but I'm really struggling to find work. I know the jobcentre help you look for work if your claiming work benefits but I'm not sure if there is any help for mothers who are married. It's just because I'm struggling to find work in my own, I try do the online assessments and sometimes don't pass them and when I do I never get an Interview. I just need some advise and help. Anyone got any ideas?

UrethaFranklin Sun 19-Feb-17 16:37:03

Surely you would use the same resources as everyone else who is looking for a job. Why would bring a mother and/or being married make any difference?

Have you tried signing up with any agencies?

sammyjayneex Sun 19-Feb-17 18:08:50

No what I mean is if you claim benefits they help
You find work so your more likely to get accepted for a job but because I'm a married mother who has been staying at home I'm less likely to be accepted for jobs because I don't have any help or references or anything so it's even harder to find work. That's what I meant

heavenlypink Sun 19-Feb-17 18:29:09

Is there any volunteering you can do?

Something that's current to put on you CV/application and they would provide a reference too.

butterfly990 Sun 19-Feb-17 20:45:44

You could try something like this.

www.expd8.co.uk/

Or another thing people do around here is put a comment on a local buy and sell page asking people if they know about any vacancies in the area.

Good luck

RebelRogue Sun 19-Feb-17 20:49:31

I'm not married but been with OH 7 years, no benefits. Sahm for 4 years and a bit. Looked for a job,found a job(not as easy and flippant as that obviously). I still don't see what being married has to do with it?

Regardless,what kind of jobs are you looking at? Any particular industry?Have you had your CV looked at? Are you using recruiting websites? Maybe try an agency?

butterfly990 Sun 19-Feb-17 20:49:52

You could try something like this.

www.expd8.co.uk/

Or another thing people do around here is put a comment on a local buy and sell page usually facebook asking people if they know about any vacancies in the area.

Good luck

MaybeDoctor Mon 20-Feb-17 10:14:15

I think I get what the OP is saying - she is above the cut-off for receiving state help via the job-centre etc, but still needs a bit of help to get started.

I think you would be best trying:

Volunteering - any kind - to build up a reference
Facebook - local pages often seem to have jobs advertised
Asking anyone you know
Asking people for feedback on your CV

Hope that helps.

sammyjayneex Tue 21-Feb-17 19:55:38

Thanks everyone for your advice. I have just had an invite to book an interview with a job I applied for so I've booked the interview for Saturday 4th march. I'm a bit apprehensive but I will start doing research in interview techniques

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now