Talk

Advanced search

Advice needed urgently!

(5 Posts)
Sofia2011 Sat 18-Feb-17 17:36:51

Hi everyone! Im nearing the end of my statutory maternity leave I'm due back to work 14th of march as I can't afford to take three months unpaid leave! Unfortantely at the start of Jan I fell on some ice which resulted in a badly broken and dislocated ankle! I had to have surgery and screws and plate it's completely ruined my maternity leave to be honest. The question i have is will my employer legally have to pay me sick pay if I'm too unwell to return to work at the end of the smp period! I know I will have to have some sort of physical therapy and am so worried they will try and get me to stay on unpaid maternity rather than pay me sick pay! Can they do this? Any advice would be much appreciated as I'm worrying myself to death over paying bills!

esiotrot2015 Sat 18-Feb-17 17:41:56

Hi
Have you got a HR department you could talk to ?
If not I'd ask Acas

That sounds awful what you have been though you poor thing flowers

Sofia2011 Sat 18-Feb-17 17:53:25

I wanted to get some advice before I phone HR as they are likely to tell my manager my plans before I know where I am!

Finbar Sat 18-Feb-17 17:56:12

My understanding is that you can't have both - so if you want to claim sick pay you have to conclude your maternity leave. You may also be due some holiday which would be paid leave.
A great website is the Maternity Alliance site as well as Acas

Sofia2011 Sat 18-Feb-17 18:01:33

Thanks Finbar, I informed them at the beginning of my maternity leave that I was just taking the statutory time off so HR should be aware of this. I intend to put it in writing that my maternity leave has ended on the ... of march and then submit a sick note. I really don't know how long it will take for my ankle to recover fully!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now