Talk

Advanced search

Staying motivated - help!

(11 Posts)
milkmoustache Wed 08-Feb-17 11:18:15

I have been looking for a P/t job for the last few months, I have had interviews but never quite made it. Largely that's down to 10 years at home, so obviously the IT experience is not there. I did some voluntary work which then led to a temp paid role, so on the upside I have positive recent references, and 13 months of experience which ended a year ago. There is so much competition locally for P/t admin roles, that I am currently despairing about ever succeeding!
I have another one to apply for due this Friday, but I have no motivation and no optimism left. Please give me a kick to keep me going!

PO25 Wed 08-Feb-17 17:31:16

Hi

I feel you. I created a long post - the unconventional guide to relaunching your career after taking a 5 year career break. I think it would be useful for you to read it as it might benefit you in your current circumstance.

here it is thecareer2.com/unconventional-guide-to-relaunching-your-career-2/

feel free to delete if its not allowed. I hope this helps you.

Kind regards

mrsenasharples Thu 09-Feb-17 15:46:29

There are few admin jobs anywhere. It is assumed that everyone can do their own admin these days.

Can you do anything else?

milkmoustache Thu 09-Feb-17 19:59:16

I have seen a few admin jobs around, but the P/t ones are chased by lots of applicants. Before children I had a couple of project officer roles, so I would be happy to do that again. However there are very few of those around. I am losing heart in the whole process, it's so demoralising...

Lunaballoon Thu 09-Feb-17 20:04:18

I'm afraid admin work without basic IT/MS Office skills is pretty much a non- starter. Have you tried looking at courses?

milkmoustache Thu 09-Feb-17 20:19:29

Yes, am beginning to think that a course plus some voluntary work is the only route back to work. It's very disappointing, as I have made it through to interviews, which I do well at, and I can learn IT when I am in post, I have done it before...

mrsenasharples Thu 09-Feb-17 20:27:17

But if there are candidates who have decent IT skills why would they employ someone who thinks they can learn 'in post'? The workloads for most admin jobs are pretty high these days. In the main, they want candidates who can hit the ground running.

If you're set on it, then see if you can get some temp work and potentially a foot in the door.

Lunaballoon Thu 09-Feb-17 20:28:59

It is very demoralising but well done for getting interviews. Your CV must be impressive and like you say, skills can be learned on the job. Don't give up hope!

hutchblue Thu 09-Feb-17 21:46:07

It could take another 10 interviews - but if you give up now - it won't ever happen.

Do you know Gary Vaynerchuk? He's on Facebook and he's like this motivational guru. He's the sort of kick in the pants kind of 'don't you give up' kind of person.

He's not everyone's cup of tea but he works for me!!

Every time I feel like giving up I just pop over watch a few of his videos.

Go on milky, you can do it girl!!!

hutchblue Thu 09-Feb-17 22:03:18

Go on youtube to brush up your IT skills. Loads of free tutorials on there.

Download Libre Office - it's free and just like Word, Excel etc.

milkmoustache Thu 09-Feb-17 22:03:37

Thanks Chuck and Luna - good pep talk, just what I need!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now