Talk

Advanced search

Cannot afford to go back!

(13 Posts)
cuddlebug Sat 04-Feb-17 20:54:06

I am on maternity until May. I am working part time, & I have looked and the cheapest nursery is £110 a week for 25 hours which is what I work! I bring home approx £600 a month as I am on minimum wage so I will be earning far less than what I am paying out. Is there anyone else here who has had to leave work because they couldn't afford childcare & what help did you get? I feel like shit because I WANT to work but I cannot bloody afford it sad

OdinsLoveChild Sat 04-Feb-17 21:04:33

Yes. I had to leave work as the cost of 3 small children in nursery while I worked was far more than I brought home.
We were not entitled to any tax credits as dh pays the higher tax rate.
I dont know what you might be entitled to, if anything but didn't want you to feel you were the only one.
I'm really struggling to get back to work now though. We decided I would stay home until the youngest starts primary school. Ive been off work for 12 years now and it's incredibly difficult. Don't stay out of the workplace too long else it will go against you.

TataEs Sat 04-Feb-17 22:08:36

are u on your own? or if your oh earns less than a certain amount you may get help.
i don't work cos i'd only bring home enough to pay nursery fees and oh pays higher tax so no help. our nursery fees here are twice yours tho!
it's incredibly frustrating.

Carolhh Sun 05-Feb-17 17:42:06

yes stay at home mum here
not due to money but because raising a family is full time job! it made no difference when i started to look for work just explained the gap.

Gazelda Sun 05-Feb-17 17:52:04

Do you currently spread your 25 hrs across 5 days? If so, would it help to work 3 full days - would that reduce nursery fees?

Or what about a childminder - they can often be less cost.

Have you looked into childcare vouchers - you buy the vouchers out of your pre-tax salary, so save 20%.

What about tax credits - might you be eligible.

It's very difficult, I sympathise (from experience).

NeverTwerkNaked Sun 05-Feb-17 18:00:06

Have you checked whether you are eligible for tax credits??

NeverTwerkNaked Sun 05-Feb-17 18:02:02

Otherwise, can you juggle your hours around your Dc's dads hours?? Mine used to take one day a week off and so did I, then ours only needed 3 days/week in nursery (I caught up on work in the evenings, exH did extra day at the weekend)

NeverTwerkNaked Sun 05-Feb-17 18:03:24

From age 3 they will get at least 15 free hours (may be 30 from September) and from age 2 some children get 15 free hours (you could check your eligibility). So it is only a couple of years before childcare costs drop a lot

Ishoos Sun 05-Feb-17 18:05:14

Are you single or with a partner? If with a partner you should consider the childcare expense a joint one rather than just yours. Your child will get some free hours at 3, or earlier if you are on a low income so the high cost isn't forever. As a previous poster has said, if you stop work it may be difficult to start again in a few years.

Carolhh Sun 05-Feb-17 21:02:53

if you are in birmingham try hospital bank work
they let you choose the hours a week

RoseGibbs Thu 09-Feb-17 11:20:03

I was wondering if any of you would be interested in talking to me about this for an exhibition I am doing? It is a remake of an exhibition made in 1978 called Who's Holding the Baby? looking at how women balance work and childcare.

Kc1009 Thu 09-Feb-17 13:54:04

Yes, me I gave up work once I had my second 4 years ago. Well 3 and a bit. I tried to work out how I could earn money but failed at every turn. I tried working nights but then because childcare is so expensive and no family to help I would get home from a night shift 22:00-16:00 then look after two girls under 4. Needless to say I failed and couldn't cope lasted 5 months. Would wake up Monday morning work Monday night get home Tuesday morning. Look after my girls then go to sleep Tuesday night, then wake up Wednesday morning and not go to sleep till Friday night as worked Wednesday and Thursday night. Yes being a mum is a full time job I get that but some times a mum can feel like she isn't bringing anything to the home financially which then makes that mum feel absolutely useless. I find it's very very hard to find a happy compromise where you can work and look after your children. I'm still trying, I have one daughter in school and one daughter to start this September and I'm still trying to work it out.

Babyroobs Fri 10-Feb-17 22:05:25

I've worked around my dh for years. I do nights, weekends / evenings. It means no childcare costs. It's exhausting and not ideal but you have to do what you can to get by. Look into tax credits/ childcare vouchers etc. the government are meant to be bringing in more free childcare for 3 and 4 year old, so if you take a years maternity, you only have to cover high childcare costs for a couple of years. It's worth it in the long run to keep your career going.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now