Talk

Advanced search

classroom assistants

(36 Posts)
Linnet Sat 24-Feb-07 22:49:03

There is a classroom assistants job advertised in a primary school near to me and I'm thinking of applying for it.

Do classroom assistants work in all classrooms through out the school i.e from primary 1 up to primary 7? or do they just tend to work with the little ones i.e primaries 1-3?

Just curious as I don't know anyone who is a classroom assistant and I don't remember there being any when I was at school, but then that was a long time ago.

rachfran Sat 24-Feb-07 22:50:35

We have classroom assistants in all the classes - from Nursery to Year 6

pinkslippers Sat 24-Feb-07 22:50:46

I don't know but hope someone can help. But Good luck and hope you get it.

Bump.

auntymandy Sat 24-Feb-07 22:52:03

depends on the job. Some stay with one year some move around.
Does it not say in job description? does it matter?

rachfran Sat 24-Feb-07 22:53:05

Forgot to say good luck!

Linnet Sat 24-Feb-07 23:03:16

No it doesn't matter I just wondered.

The job description mentions things like Reading to children, telling them stories, reading rhymes. Helping with coats while encouraging independence, setting up interest tables, preparing art work for display on walls etc, supervising corridors between classes, supervision during wet playtimes, etc etc

Most of this I would associate with working with smaller children from primary 1-3, but was just curious as to whether a classroom assistant would work further up the school as well.

I'm going to apply, might not even get an interview but hey nothing ventured nothing gained as they say.

onlyjoking Sat 24-Feb-07 23:10:15

it could be in different classes or it could be with a named child/children my DS has autism and is currently in mainstream, he has a helper for set hours each week.

wheresthehamster Sat 24-Feb-07 23:11:14

A lot of schools, if they have the funding, employ full time TAs at KS1.

At KS2 they tend to be just mornings only and possibly lunchtimes as well.

Hahaha at the job description. That's just to reel you in. It's hard work but the best job in the world!

Good luck!

Skribble Sat 24-Feb-07 23:15:44

I think they do most of their time in the younger classes but do help with supervising older classes, when teacher doing work with specific group they might do work with the rest of the class. They might also help out with activities like IT where they need extra supervision or help.

I will ask DS tomorrow he is in P6, but he might not know who is a TA or a student teacher. I will see what he says.

Linnet Sat 24-Feb-07 23:16:10

It's full time, term time only which is part of what makes it a brilliant job. I'm not afraid of hard work and I like children.

But I know that hundreds of people in my area are going to apply for this job as many mothers would love a job like this and there will be plenty out there who have more experience in this type of job than I have and they don't come up very often.

But still no harm in trying.

Skribble Sat 24-Feb-07 23:16:29

Oh and in the library if the school doesn't have a librarian.

Linnet Sat 24-Feb-07 23:19:39

It does mention maintaining and cataloguing library materials and I have library experience, that could give me a few points

Skribble Sat 24-Feb-07 23:20:38

Where is the job I am looking for a job like that ?

lostinfrance Sat 24-Feb-07 23:20:55

Message withdrawn

Skribble Sat 24-Feb-07 23:21:59

Local paper and local council website here in Scotland.

Linnet Sat 24-Feb-07 23:23:25

on my local council website. I already work for the council so I can also check the intranet at work. They are often advertised in the local paper as well.

Tayside Skribble

lostinfrance Sat 24-Feb-07 23:24:15

Message withdrawn

kid Sat 24-Feb-07 23:26:27

I saw some advertised on Gumtree.com
I am a CA and work in one particular class. Each class is assigned a CA for some or all of the day.

Good luck, no harm in applying for it even if loads of people to go for it.

Skribble Sat 24-Feb-07 23:27:22

Aw just a little bit to far to commute from SW Scotland, so you are safe .

wheresthehamster Sat 24-Feb-07 23:27:51

By law, schools are supposed to advertise all jobs. This may be the local paper or the council website.

If you are interested in a specific school you could phone the secretary to ask where they would place an ad if a vacancy arose.
(That's how I applied and got my current job!)

Most of the jobs will appear towards the end of term.
The exception is a one to one assistant because funding can come through at any time.

nikkie Sun 25-Feb-07 19:15:22

Lots of people here get in on supply then get offered short term contracts and eventually permanent.Seems to work in most schools round here.

Linnet Sun 25-Feb-07 23:34:25

thought of another question, do classroom assistants work on the inservice training days? or just days when the school is open to the pupils?

wheresthehamster Mon 26-Feb-07 16:52:43

Depends on what the days are for.
If it's for training - yes.
If it's for, say, report writing - no.

Sometimes the training is for half a day so you can leave at lunchtime unless your teacher has some plans for the afternoon like rearranging the classroom and would like your help.

Whatever happens you get paid overtime for how ever long you're in!

Whizzz Mon 26-Feb-07 16:57:25

It depends on what your hours are - i'm a TA at secondary school & attendance on Inset days is pro-rata'd based on your hours.
Primary TA jobs are usually very popular (compared to secondary) & there is a lot of candidates - well there is in our area anyway.

Whizzz Mon 26-Feb-07 16:58:57

Hamster - just out of curiosity, do you get paid overtime as in time + half or whatever or do you just get your normal hourly rate?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now