Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Will full time nursery harm my children?

(10 Posts)
tulip27 Fri 23-Feb-07 20:49:26

When my son turns three and my daughter 22 months they will be starting full time nursery. Can anyone give me any hints, tips or experiences in this matter?

Kif Sat 24-Feb-07 18:31:43

I made myself a bit unpopular, I think, but my strategy was to spend a long time settling her (just sitting in the corner for security). Then I did the same drop off routine every morning. This included sitting with her for a fixed period of time, so that she could see me having fun at nursery with her. My logic was that if I 'dumped and ran' she'd be more likely to view it as an abandonement and less likely to view it as fun. Perhaps it's just me, though!

Kif Sat 24-Feb-07 18:33:43

My dh was a great believer in letting her walk the last part of the trip, and carry her own lunchbox, so that she'd feel it was 'her idea' to come to nursery.

ja9 Sat 24-Feb-07 18:36:20

i had my ds in nursery 2 days a week from he was 1yy to 2yrs. Then when he turned 2 i went back to work full time for four months. Now i'm on mat leave and he is back to part time. he enjoyed nursery the most when he was there full time - i assume because he was very much a part of everything going on and had a better understanding of what each day would hold... i didn't especially love full time - felt i wasn't getting the best bits of ds - just end of day when he was tired and grumpy, and i missed him. but i think that spell of nursery was good for him...

crunchie Sat 24-Feb-07 18:50:12

Mine went and loved it, you will be doing them no harm whatso ever

daisy26 Sun 25-Feb-07 13:37:02

They will be fine as long as u assure them u will be back later, if u feel at ease, stay with them for maybe a few minutes, then say to them you have to go now. Staying with them for ages makes them think you are going to be there all the time,and can make then even more uncomfortable goin to nursery. I am a nursery Assistant, I know it may sound bad but that's seems to be the easy key to things.Safes you having probs then everyday

Eleusis Wed 28-Feb-07 10:47:09

I'm thoroughly convinced that children are often more resilient than mums and dads. Mine certainly are. This is of course a good thing (for them), but it does tend to bruise my ego now and then, like when DD used to run away when I arrived at the childminder because she wanted to stay rather than go with me after she'd been there for 10 hours.

It was heart breaking for me. But it was of course more important that she was happy.

colditz Wed 28-Feb-07 10:48:47

TBH Nobody will dare tell you even if they think it will. Can you imagine the bunfight?

NurseyJo Wed 28-Feb-07 10:51:02

Message withdrawn

paddingtonbear1 Wed 28-Feb-07 10:57:25

hi tulip, my friend's dd went to full time nursery for a year or so. She is the same age as my dd who's been going part time, but they are both v happy girls (and great friends)! As NurseyJo says, choose your nursery carefully (ours is a small, cosy one and the carers are lovely), and make out to your dc's that you are happy they are going there, even if you're not. If they can sense you're not happy about it, they won't be either ifkwim?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now