Talk

Advanced search

My employer changed my contract without my consent!

(3 Posts)
CaroKershaw Mon 16-Jan-17 16:39:13

I had postnatal depression after having my son in 2015, and after my maternity leave was all used up, I requested a meeting to discuss returning to work gradually. I met with my line manager and the boss and asked to be able to return to work gradually, starting at 2 or 3 days a week and working up to going back to my full time role. They agreed to try this for 3 months and then review it to see if it was working for evryone.

Today I requested to increase my hours and I have been told that my contract is now only for 2 days a week and they dont have the budget to increase my hours. They said I have been granted flexible working which has permanently altered my contract.

I never agreed to changing my contract permanently. I never saw or signed a new contract. None of this has been put in writing at all. They appear to have misunderstood what I was asking and now it seems to my my word against theirs.

What are my rights?

SaferLondon1 Tue 31-Jan-17 16:34:21

Hi,

I work in HR - once your request to flexible working was granted you should have received a contract variation of some kind for it to be legal; you must have some form of email communication, as well as a signed contract change, which you should bring to your employer immediately; and you are entitled to your former hours if you haven't signed such a contract. You have protected rights as both a mother & returning from maternity.
Speak to your HR department if you have one - or get free impartial advice from ACAS!

DoctorBeat Tue 31-Jan-17 16:35:46

I'm a junior doctor and this has happened to me too. (Not helpful)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now