Talk

Advanced search

Is it the right time for me to go back to work?

(4 Posts)
Nanananananagigglebiz Sat 14-Jan-17 19:11:51

Ok so here's the deal. I'm laying it all bare. I'm a mum of 2 small children one of whom is at school.
My mum is fairly young (late fifties) but unfortunately is in a nursing home due to illness.
I am very fortunate in the fact I don't need to go back for financial reasons, my husband is a high earner, a nice man and very supportive of me.
My background is admin in various different fields but since my mum became ill I would like to now work in a caring field when i do eventually goback.
My dc2 goes to nursery a few mornings a week. During this time I sometimes go see my mum, have time for myself or catch up on jobs.
My question should I volunteer now and wait till dc2 is also in school before going back to work.
There are things I'd really like to do but feel guilty as any spare time I have I feel I should be spending with mum or be with my kids especially if I don't need to work. Thoughts please? Thanks

Nanananananagigglebiz Sat 14-Jan-17 19:50:25

Please and thank you

Babbitywabbit Sun 15-Jan-17 10:55:14

Sorry that your mum needs a high level of care at such a young age.
On a positive note how lovely that you've discovered what you want to do next; I have huge respect for those who are keen to enter the caring profession.

I would say it's as well to look at volunteering and training opportunities right away. Feeling guilty is part of motherhood! Push the feeling away- it's a negative emotion. Remind yourself that good relationships are about quality not quantity... spending every spare moment with your children or your mother because you feel you ought to, isn't better than spending lovely times with them but also investing some time in your future too.
Also- you're thinking about using your skills and experience to do something which is socially so worthwhile on a broader scale than just your own immediate family. Society needs people like you- go for it and best of luck

Nanananananagigglebiz Sun 15-Jan-17 13:08:54

Thanks so much babbit for your response and kind words.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now