Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can boss make me make up time for cancelled operations?

(10 Posts)
Iona1651 Wed 11-Jan-17 21:13:22

Not sure where to post this so apologies in advance if in wrong place. I have a LG who is 2 1/2. I work 3 days a week, Tue, Wed, Thurs, but sometimes work a Mon or Fri if I can get childcare cover to suit me so I can do M, T, W and have Thu, Fri, Mon off to go on hol etc. I make all dentist/docs apps on Mons/Fri's for me and my little one so as not to interrupt my work. I have recently had appointments on Thurs (the only day the consultant does the clinic) and had to make this time up. I am a member of staff and worked at the co. for 20 years. Previously, full time and not having to make up the time for appointments. I don't take the mickey by having days off for Christmas shopping etc. However, I now have to have an operation. It was supposed to be on 3 Jan but got cancelled. I worked Wed and Thurs that week, doing as much work as possible for when I was off. Op re-scheduled for 10 Jan. Cancelled again (no beds). Work today and tomorrow. Boss asked what I was doing with the two days I've had off (meaning making the time up/or unpaid). Do I have to make this time up/take it unpaid? Where's best to go with this? I am frustrated as it was beyond my control, but don't want to annoy my boss as I may need time off in the future for funerals (family live far away and lots of old family) and may need flexibility to be able to travel etc. A full time member of staff doesn't have to make the time up as how can they if they work full time? I'm thinking of saying 'you can't legally make me work the time off, but, as a gesture I will take the two days unpaid on this occasion' . What is everyone's opinions on this? Where do I actually stand legally? Thanks in advance. x

unfortunateevents Fri 13-Jan-17 15:35:26

On what basis was the time off for the operations granted? Was it sick leave or did you take annual leave? If it was sick leave, I don't know why you didn't go to work as usual when the operation was cancelled as it seems as if you have flexibility to change your days around so presumably could have gone in once you found the op was not happening? Don't confuse the issue here by mentioning not taking time off for Christmas shopping (surely that is annual leave?! - in which case you can do whatever you want with it?) or taking time off for funerals - again annual leave or compassionate leave.

LIZS Fri 13-Jan-17 15:45:13

Presumably you will still have the op at some point so you will still get your paid day then. When did you find out the op wasn't going ahead? On what basis would ft staff have to take similar.

WatchingFromTheWings Fri 13-Jan-17 15:52:48

I work part time and if I asked for time off for something it either has to be worked back or taken as unpaid. You may ask to use holiday time but they don't have to let you do that.

GahBuggerit Fri 13-Jan-17 15:53:16

could you have gone back to work when you found out the app was cancelled? must admit id be a bit hmm if one of my staff didnt come back to work unless hosp a fair distance away and id expect them to offer to make it up even so.

i had no idea whether the ft guys made their time up, none of my business, i did when i was ft (v easy to do even when ft) and i do now im pt because i dont want to abuse any goodwill.

TrustySnail Fri 13-Jan-17 16:01:03

I'm struggling to see why you didn't go back to work when your operations were cancelled - were you kept waiting all day, and then by the time you found out it was too late?

Your company shouldn't distinguish between full time and part time staff in terms of making up time. There should be a HR policy giving guidelines - if you think you have been unfairly treated, I would ask to see a copy of the HR policy and, if it hasn't been followed, take it up with your line manager.

unfortunateevents Fri 13-Jan-17 16:04:24

Presumably if full-time people couldn't make the time up, they wouldn't be offered that as an option but would be expected to take the time as unpaid or annual leave instead? It would only be unfair if they weren't expected to make any efforts to make up the time in some way.

LIZS Fri 13-Jan-17 16:06:58

Ft staff wouldn't have option to make up time but might have to take it as unpaid or al instead.

GahBuggerit Fri 13-Jan-17 16:25:32

i could easily make up a day when ft. in half hour earlier, half hour for lunch, stay half hour later. it was either that or take it as unpaid (no thanks!)

TrustySnail Fri 13-Jan-17 16:28:16

How is it that FT people don't have the option to make time up, OP? Does your workplace only open 9 -5, Mon - Fri (say) and lock the doors outside those hours?

Full timers in my place make time up before or after their contracted working day, or there's the option of taking shorter lunch breaks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now