Advanced search

Grasp the next rung of the career ladder

Find jobs that fit your skills and your home life with Mumsnet jobs

See all jobs »

Mulitple to manage offers??

(24 Posts)
mumznet Fri 30-Dec-16 12:22:09

well basically need some of your advice ladies. I have interviews close together one day one and then another the next day. some are a week later. so how do i go about accepting an offer and what if I accept one and get another offer the next day is it rude to let an employer down after accepting? im only worried if it costs them more because they already start checks CRB etc. any thoughts?

its in the nhs

GimmeeMoore Fri 30-Dec-16 13:44:17

If offered you say you'd like time to consider and call them when you know about other offers
You must know what your preferences are,who you'd chose 1st,2nd. Draw a list up now to be prepared
Be honest that you want time to consider any offers

Don't accept a post and then withdraw as that will cause consternation,not to mention they'll decline other candidates based on your acceptance
They'll proceed to dbs when you accept and after references,so not immediately

And good luck

mumznet Fri 30-Dec-16 13:53:54

but dont they like want an answer immediately.?...and if i don't accept a post and then dont get the job at the other interview....thats what i was concerned about ....if they think im taking too much time and so therefore they just go with the second candidate.....or other candidate

tribpot Fri 30-Dec-16 13:57:22

They won't just randomly decide "time's up" without telling you. Best policy is to be honest and say you have another interview coming up. They may say they can't wait that long, altho unlikely as the recruitment process takes ages so a week is not going to make a bug difference.

Gimmee is right though. Rank the jobs based on preference. If you're offered number 1, I would accept it and withdraw from the other interview.

riceuten Fri 30-Dec-16 14:06:59

Frankly, I have been treated so crappily by potential employers (job offers withdrawn 'due to funding issues' 2 days after handing my notice in, for instance) that I feel no guilt or compunction in accepting a job offer from one organisation and then dropping them for a better offer (and even telling them so) later. Only if you work in a tiny specialised field of work is this ever likely to be an issue.

BikeRunSki Fri 30-Dec-16 14:11:56

If you get a job offer, tell them that you have other options to consider. Then it's a bit of a juggling act, which can be tricky if your number one job interviews last!

Do the NHS have a central single recruitment system? They might know that you have applied for other jobs anyway. (The gov Dept I work for works like this. In fact, I've been offered a job I did not even apply for like this!).

HunterHearstHelmsley Fri 30-Dec-16 14:15:18

We withdrew an offer last week as someone said they wanted to think about it. We'd interviewed two other employable people and wanted someone who actually wanted the job.

GimmeeMoore Fri 30-Dec-16 14:24:44

Most times you'll be given time to consider,and they'll state when they need to know by eg a day
In a competitive or sought after field they have other capeable candidates so won't wait long,if at all
I would be honest that you're applying for other posts

You must know what your preferences are,and have ranked them?

riceuten Sun 01-Jan-17 00:18:52

One of the things I hate about interviewing people any later than Tuesday afternoon is that they ALWAYS want the weekend to 'think about it'. Do you, ormdo you not want the fuffing job, if you spent 3 or 4 hours filling out an application form and similar time being tested and interviewed. What I don't mind is someone coming in and wanting to see where they work and who they will be working with.

mamatiger2016 Sun 01-Jan-17 00:45:09

We give people 10 days to accept or reject an offer. In my experience, if people don't accept on the 1st / 2nd day then they don't usually end up accepting and you just know they are the ones faffing around with other offers but not telling us they have other offer and hiring manager gets pissed that no decision is being made by candidate.

As a recruiter, I would say... Be upfront, tell them you have another offer and are considering your options but if there are acceptance deadlines please stick to them. We have to bend over backwards to get approval to hire from our managers so if you're not going to take a role the manager wants us to find someone else asap to fill that gap!


mumznet Sun 01-Jan-17 17:35:19

Thank you all. it seems both parties don't want to wait unnecessarily. been here previously in similar situation and had one offer and accepted also had other interviews and was unsuccessful. so we should appreciate an does seem like the 'grass is always greener on the other side' kind of situation.

Can someone help me with my skills what is the best way to expain them? should I start with examples for team work give an example...communication give an example.....and then working with data give an example? i feel like the list goes on...and my answer goes on....but I am not sure if that is the right way to go? any ideas?

riceuten Sun 01-Jan-17 18:05:41

Most interviewers will ask you to illustrate an aptitude or particular skills as part of a structured interview, so, whilst you can touch upon it in your introductory (and alarmingly predictable) first question - "what was it that attracted you to this job and why do you think you are the person for this job?", they will drill down to team work/adaptability/supervision/communications/self-motivation at a later stage in the interview.

GimmeeMoore Sun 01-Jan-17 20:08:09

Look carefully at the JD and person specification that'll guide you what they're after
Base your answers on the Jd and person spec,e.g. If they ask for communication discuss it
Answer in first person, with examples of practice
If you Can visit prior to interview do so

mumznet Wed 04-Jan-17 15:57:39

thank you all.
nice to see both sides....

I am having interviews in nhs various bands 2,3 and also 4. Because it is competitive I sometimes don't feel a band 2 job is interesting enough for me but still apply because my contract is terminating soon...

so my question is to avoid a gap should I still go for a band 2 job if offered or keep trying to get a higher band even if it means having a gap in employment?

please advice.

mumznet Wed 04-Jan-17 15:58:28

I meant because it is competitive I still apply for a band 2 job...even though it doesn't interest me that much.

GimmeeMoore Wed 04-Jan-17 16:32:26

Depends if you can financially manage a gap?can you do agency or bank?will that be sufficient?
If you can't financially manage a gap then you need to take another post
Bear in mind once you get a post,you need to give if you get a b2 waiting on a b4 you need it give notice. And take time off for interviews

I don't know how competitive it is to get the posts you're after?
I think it's good to be in steady secure post,unless there are an ongoing agency/bank work.I'd say only apply for posts you want and you'd accept

Good luck with applications

mumznet Wed 04-Jan-17 17:23:08

yes definitely I have already applied for bank work....maybe i should try that
I was feeling nervous for bank work because it is temporary so just thought instead of bank just go for some band 2 job for now....


mumznet Wed 04-Jan-17 17:23:46

well financially would be better off with some part time work really....

mumznet Wed 04-Jan-17 17:40:57

the posts are competitive...i think main reason is due to many applicants...for a band 2/3 post I was told 20 applicants were shortlisted and maybe 15-16 turn up. which means in interviews there are several good candidates....

mumznet Wed 04-Jan-17 17:42:09

with bank work i understand there is not a long notice period do you agree Gimmeemore?

GimmeeMoore Wed 04-Jan-17 19:17:13

If you need financial security,regular wage then take a permanent job,keep looking for other post
permanent post you'll get AL,regular salary,training
Bank is shift by shift booking so no security. Can you do overtime in own work or bank for extra money

mumznet Wed 04-Jan-17 21:29:18

you are right...this is why we need mumsnet....sometimes our minds go blank and we need the obvious to be told! lol

yes overtime can be done in bank on weekend etc. but i don't need the extra shifts just a permanent part time job....
I've been on some fixed term contracts but thinking to find something permanent now....
do you work in NHS?

mumznet Wed 04-Jan-17 23:08:40

the only issue I have i am finding the band 2 posts very boring for my most are full time and I'm not happy sitting in a boring admin job all day.....

mumznet Wed 04-Jan-17 23:11:32

the tasks are repetitive and i don't like the role...i have already been for a visit...and chances are might get the job

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now