Talk

Advanced search

working full-time - help!

(27 Posts)
llareggub Mon 19-Feb-07 21:16:42

I've decided not to make a flexible working request and will return to work in July following maternity leave.

DS will be 9 months and I'm not relishing the frankly scary organisatiomal skills that will be required to enable us to function.

So please, top tips for staying sane? DS will be in nursery and grandmother and I'll get a cleaner in I guess...what else would help?

spudmasher Mon 19-Feb-07 21:26:18

Have your shopping delivered. Shop online.

skiwear Mon 19-Feb-07 21:29:55

You'll be fine I'm sure Sorry I havn't got any tips it just happens!
Oh get a diary and if dh is anything like mine get him to use it we are frequently getting caught out by him saying he'll be around then at the last minute saying I never told him I needed him at home/to pick up children etc etc (but we work long hours including weekends)

scatterbrain Mon 19-Feb-07 21:30:30

Definitely get a cleaner and do online shopping.

Get someone to do your ironing for you.

Shower before you go to bed not in the morning.

If you are doing a packed lunch for yourself, make it before you go to bed. Pack your bag and your DS's bag the night before.

Lay out both your clothes the night before.

Book the occasional day off just "for you" and do something relaxing !!!

I have to say - I don't do or have any of the above and I am absolutely knackered !

Millarkie Mon 19-Feb-07 21:33:15

Yup, everything that Scatterbrain said,

llareggub Mon 19-Feb-07 21:36:16

Yes, will need to get into the habit of online shopping. Am lucky as I have a DH who does (actually more than) his fair share of housework, but I still need to co-ordinate and direct!

Will I be exhausted? Am doing the whole baby massage/music/PFB thing and can't believe I'll have time to work!

scatterbrain Mon 19-Feb-07 21:38:21

Yes you will be exhausted !!

Another thing to add to the list is have an early night at least twice a week !

I am terrible for watching crap on TV and mumsnetting until 11.30 and that kills me !

PeachesMcLean Mon 19-Feb-07 21:39:33

A big freezer.
Simpler meals.
I find the hardest bit is getting home from work and having to cook straight away, so we're in danger of eating trash more if I haven't planned 5 nights worth of 20 minute meals or have something I made earlier in the freezer.
With any luck you'll find work a doddle after looking after a baby for 9 months. You can drink coffee when you want, you can pause for five minutes to talk to other grown ups, you get a lunch break with which you can do what you want, and you take all your bills etc to work to sort out whilst you're there.

llareggub Mon 19-Feb-07 21:41:06

[whisper]

My DH cooks. I plan the meals and get the ingredients to the kitchen...

I sound really lazy, I'm not honestly!

scatterbrain Mon 19-Feb-07 21:42:18

no - you're lucky !! ~I am jealous !

PeachesMcLean Mon 19-Feb-07 21:42:59

WideWebWitch Mon 19-Feb-07 21:43:36

Your dh/dp MUST pull his weight, it is NOT JUST YOUR JOB
Shop online
get a cleaner
lower your standards
insist on leaving work on time

skiwear Mon 19-Feb-07 21:47:45

There are upsides you can go to the loo alone .
Personally I don't iron and don't online shop like to choose my own stuff. Surely the baby massage/music/PFB (what is this?) thing will have to go.
Would second trying to leave work on time don't let the fact that gp are helping make work think you can stay late the whole time. If it's any help I became a whole heep more efficient (and more ruthless) once I had dcs

Plibble Mon 19-Feb-07 21:50:58

Everything scatterbrain said.
Also make a list of what you have to do each night/morning so you can think it through before you have to do it (sounds obvious, I know, but it really helps) and have a dry run of what you'll be doing in the morning one day the week before. And train your baby to hold his own bottles, so he can eat while you get dressed.
My list is a bit like this:
Night:
Get in from work
Play with baby, bath, bottle, bed
Wash up bottles and pack baby's bag for tomorrow
Sterilise next day's bottles and make them up
Eat
Put washing machine or dishwasher on
bath
Lay out tomorrow's clothes
bed for me (or more work or MN, whatever I feel like)
Morning:
Get up and shower if not done the night before
Get baby up and give her bottle on my bed while I get dressed
Dress baby
Leave the house.

It is tedious as anything, but gets the job done.

llareggub Mon 19-Feb-07 21:55:04

I'm looking forward to going back. Obviously I will miss DS but I miss work too.

I did think about doing 30 hours but I know that if I did I'd end up doing longer hours so I might as well do them and be paid a full salary. Work are flexible and I'll work from home for one day a week and do my hours over four and a half days. It's just that I'm at home all the time now and I don't get anything productive done!

But then I've never been particularly organised at home. At work I am but I can't muster up the same enthusiasm for the household chores.

Oh and baby massage will go. It isn't all it's cracked up to be but it's good meeting up with others.

llareggub Mon 19-Feb-07 21:56:08

Thanks for your top tips. Does anyone find time for exercise too?

skiwear Mon 19-Feb-07 21:58:55

ha ha I'm still trying to get down to pre baby 3 weight never mind the first or second!! But please ehat is PFB I can't work it out except for a French class but not with a 9m old!!?

skiwear Mon 19-Feb-07 21:59:47

Although I have recently told my dh if he wants me to get the weight off he has to look after the kids for an hour or two!

llareggub Mon 19-Feb-07 21:59:55

PFB = precious first born behaviour. There's a rather funny thread in chat on it.

scatterbrain Mon 19-Feb-07 22:03:08

Ha ha ha - exercise - Oh don't make me laugh !!!!! A friend in the same position goes to the gym for 40 mins at lunchtime ! I prefer to leave earlier - but then I do have to do the school run ! you might be OK !

llareggub Mon 19-Feb-07 22:05:41

I thought as much! I don't do much now, and I guess it means I can use the gym fees to pay for the cleaner...

skiwear Mon 19-Feb-07 22:11:44

thanks I was really wondering!

anniemac Tue 20-Feb-07 10:35:18

Message withdrawn

rookiemum Tue 20-Feb-07 18:56:33

I only work 4 days but find it hard to get exercise fitted in as well.

My solution is to cycle into work which takes roughly the same time as driving. Voila, exercising done, and it vaguely qualifys as me time as I find it much less stressful than driving in.

Sadly due to the availability of cafe lattes and scrummy scones from the work canteen, plus the ability to sit down and eat my food, I am now fatter than before, humph.

Oh another tip, see if you can ask for a half hour lunch break and get in half an hour later or leave half an hour early. I start at 9.30 and it makes such a difference because I don't need to leave in rush hour, plus its not a mad panic getting ready.

Jessajam Tue 20-Feb-07 19:02:00

I work FT. I am knackered. So maybe my tips aren't working!

Definitly get Ds's nursery stuff ready the night before.
Diary/Calender
Fill laundry basket with 1 laod before you go to bed and put that 1 load of washing each morning before you leave the house, hang it up in the evening, and do 10-15 minutes of ironing each night.
Make sure you know what you will be wearing the night before

That stuff www said about dh/dp pulling weight is very true..and I am afraid I am still struggling with this one <<hangs head in shame>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now