Talk

Advanced search

NHS Starting Salaries

(8 Posts)
OneSauvTwoSauvThreeSauvFloor Sat 17-Dec-16 19:13:43

Just found out yesterday I've got an interview after Christmas for a non-clinical role. For various reasons (one being this problem), I'm sadly not expecting this to work out but I couldn't not try.

If successful, I'd be new to the NHS and have become aware of what A4C means for starting salaries, i.e. new joiners coming in at the bottom of the band. Whilst I appreciate the reasons behind this, the top of the band is still below my current salary (obviously I have been aware of that all along and that's not the issue) so the thought of the bottom of the band does make my eyes pop a bit. I'm willing to take a bit of a pay cut but I would have serious trouble reconciling myself to that size of cut and really it would look a bit strange - I haven't worked for that salary for about ten years and my salary isn't even inflated now (the opposite, in fact). I should make it crystal clear that money is really not my first priority but there unfortunately has to be a line drawn somewhere.

I've done some Googling and have seen various levels of hopelessness about it so have some expectation and some understanding of increments for whole years of evidenced comparable work and so forth. Other than that, does anyone have any experience or words of wisdom they would please share?

dollyollymolly Sat 17-Dec-16 21:00:29

Why did you apply? It's unclear what your motivation is exactly.

I was looking at NHS roles. It would be a massive pay cut but change of direction with a view to climbing the ladder and potentially surpassing current salary and more. Long term more interesting job and professional development would be key factors for me.

Don't waste time interviewing for a role if the money is going to be a problem.

OneSauvTwoSauvThreeSauvFloor Sat 17-Dec-16 21:21:45

My motivations are genuine - belief and passion in/for the NHS and from a more person aspect, basically as you said for yourself.

The reason I'm asking is from looking around, it looks a little bleak a prospect but not 100%. I'm trying to work out how much leeway there usually is, how often recruiters go through the exception process etc. I don't want to scrap it all if it's not actually that black and white.

cheerup Wed 21-Dec-16 22:20:07

If offered the job you can probably negotiate mid band if you meet/exceed all criteria but I would think unlikely to get very top of band given that you effectively have no sector experience and even for non clinical roles, a knowledge and understanding of how the NHS operates will contribute to your effectiveness. Offering you top would also mean you had nowhere to go in role so would have to move on to a higher banded role to get any pay increase. Depends on the role to an extent and how well you interview plus whether they think you are a good fit for the post. If you could command a much higher salary elsewhere they may think you are over skilled for the role you have applied for and prefer to offer it to someone who will develop more in post.

Wigeon Wed 21-Dec-16 22:27:35

I just recruited two people on AfC pay scales and offered one of them way above the bottom of the paygrade (without her asking), on the basis that she had actually worked at the next grade up for many years, had a good explanation for why she was applying for a job at the lower grade, and was a good fit for the job. And interviewed really well

OneSauvTwoSauvThreeSauvFloor Thu 22-Dec-16 19:00:03

Really interesting points on both counts, thanks. They're aware of what I'm on now from the application form so l hope at minimum they're not ruling me out as overqualified but definitely food for thought and reassures me it could all still work out (fingers crossed!). Guess you don't know til you try.

Wigeon Thu 22-Dec-16 19:09:19

If you get offered the job you can at least to try to negotiate on salary (assuming they offer you the bottom of the pay band, which they may not):

Points you could use:

You have particularly relevant experience for the role (say what that is)
You have many years experience which should be recognised
You are more qualified than the job description required (say what, specifically) and / or you have worked at a more senior level
You would be taking a pay cut and would therefore prefer not to start at the bottom

mumznet Fri 06-Jan-17 19:11:20

also if you take this now on the lower scale and build up 6-9 months NHS experience and then go for a higher band....just a thought!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now