digital marketing

(9 Posts)
eatsleeppoop Thu 08-Dec-16 13:35:05

Thanks all, Ellie I have pm'd you, the Squared Online course sounds interesting.

OP’s posts: |
CartwheelGirl Thu 08-Dec-16 12:05:02

Training and qualifications are good, but I wouldn't bank too much on them making a big difference when it comes to job interviews.

So if you have time that you can invest in training, go for it. Long term it's a worthwhile investment and you will become a better professional in the long run. But if you're overstretching yourself in the hope that it will land you a great job, then that's not so good because it could lead to disappointment.

elliej83 Thu 08-Dec-16 12:00:56

I'm quite senior in the industry. If you want any advice drop me a message. The best course you can do by far is called 'Squared online' and was developed with a google. It's all done as distance learning with lectures and projects. It's intense but far better than CIM or any of the professional bodies which to be honest companies don't rate.

eatsleeppoop Thu 08-Dec-16 10:23:37

Thanks for all the advice.

I would probably be looking for a digital marketing executive role. I have a job that incorporates some digital marketing now (not in my job spec but I have taken it upon myself to do) - PPC, AdWords, social media, SEO, email marketing - for my own self-interest I would like to do a qualification but ideally this would be one employers value, or perhaps it doesn't really matter about the qualification?

hutchblue Thu 08-Dec-16 10:20:23

digitalgarage.withgoogle.com/

lots of free courses on Google that are accredited.

I agree - it's best to have CIM as it gives you a grounding in understanding marketing overall - social media is just one part of the marketing mix.

Also, if you want to get into social media - I always suggest to people they start their own blog, set up Wordpress and start experimenting. There's nothing like building your OWN following to understand the needs of employers.

Also, just start with one platform - like Facebook, or Twitter or Instagram. Don't try and do them all, all at the start.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Thu 08-Dec-16 10:06:06

I'd do CIM. Traditional marketing still has a big part to play in digital marketing; without it you'd be quite one dimensional.

Freshprincess Thu 08-Dec-16 10:04:41

Depends what you want to do in digital marketing, as it covers a huge range of activities.
Cim is a more widely recognised and valued qualification, IMO and will give you a better grounding.

Advertisement

CartwheelGirl Thu 08-Dec-16 09:58:38

Employers look for experience. So I would start thinking of what you want to do as your first job or project (likely unpaid work), then look for education that helps you to complete that. CIM is a well regarded institution, but qualification for the sake of it has limited value. If you were studying Digital Media in a University then by the end of your studies you would have a portfolio of work to show your future employers. In the absence of a degree you have to DIY the end result - portfolio. Alternative route is to start working straight away, and learn on the job, it's difficult but not impossible.

eatsleeppoop Thu 08-Dec-16 09:38:42

Help please!

I want to get into digital marketing and am looking for a part-time distance learning qualification that I can fit around my part-time job. Anyone in this area who could tell me which would be best? I have looked at the CIM Foundation in Marketing but am wondering whether to jump straight into the CAM Diploma in Digital Marketing as it's only the digital side I really want to do, and I have a background in IT.

Could anyone advise which would be a better option and what employers look for?

Thanks!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in