Talk

Advanced search

supportive stories from ex-WOHMs who have taken a couple of yrs out to be at home?

(24 Posts)
RanToTheHills Fri 16-Feb-07 11:02:23

After manyyears at work, 6 of which have been p/t postchildren,I've(gulp) just resigned to go and.....stay at home for a while!
My bosscannot believe I'vejackedina"career job" without having sth togo on to. I@m in a bit ofa panic, but quiteexcited too.
Sorry spacebar notworking. I plan todo a bit of studying forfun,spend moretime with the kids obviously and also check out options forsetting up myown business.
Any reassurance/tips?!

RanToTheHills Fri 16-Feb-07 11:07:09

oh,nonethen?or have I put this in wrong section(also am muchtoo impatient!)

RanToTheHills Fri 16-Feb-07 11:18:55

bump

DimpledThighs Fri 16-Feb-07 11:23:46

hi - could not leave you there hanging!

I stopped full time when ds was born 7yrs ago. I have done very few bits and bobs freelance from time to time but essentially SAHM - now have daughter 4 too. She has strated school so I am venturing back into the world of work (applications, interviews etc) and hope something will come up soon.

I looked at is as a chance to reassess what I really wanted to do and take a good long look at myself.

I found it an amazinlgy rewarding experience and I look forward to the challenges and excitment as I move into the next stage of my life.

Best wishes.

DimpledThighs Fri 16-Feb-07 11:24:54

btw - I stepped back from a high powered job at a time when great opportunities were set down before me. Was scared at the time that I was making a mistake but am so glad I chose what I did.

RanToTheHills Fri 16-Feb-07 11:30:45

thanksDT! You were v brave (i mean thatsincerely) in the face ofsuch opportunity to make the break,well done you! Reassuring too. Everhave anyregrets though?

DimpledThighs Fri 16-Feb-07 11:40:12

not real regrets - I wonder what it would have been like to have stayed but I know that I would have had to give up what I have had a home with the children.

There were times when I was bored / frustrated / wished I saw more people etc. and I had grass is greener moments but I knew deep down that I maed the right choice.

Even when I have had regrets I can be happy as I know I would have had many more regrets if I had taken the other path. I have learned a lot and I feel I know myself more now. I think it took a bit of soul searching and talking to a few close people to arrive at my choice, but essentially it was and is the right one.

I know that for sure now.

RanToTheHills Fri 16-Feb-07 14:04:57

glad it worked out foryou DT!
I'm listing down allthe things we'll do etc to havesth to look forward to after I leave.

RanToTheHills Fri 16-Feb-07 14:21:58

no other positive experiences?!

RanToTheHills Fri 16-Feb-07 18:32:04

any evening people?Shall feel v alone now!

Judy1234 Fri 16-Feb-07 19:19:43

I work from home often. I work for myself. It's great. But that's not quite what you're doing. It's actually pretty wonderful to work shorter hours as your own boss and earn a lot more money too. Personally think that's a nice option so the setting up your own business thing could be good to explore before you get too used to a daily routine which fills the day because it's there to be filled with children and washing etc.

moondog Fri 16-Feb-07 19:25:34

I have just returned to work after three years at home.
In that time,I have travelled abroad a lot with dh,got fit,moved house and done it up,spent time with the children and community activities,done some freelance work,started an MSc and er.....MNed a lot.

Beeen back at work two weeks and am very happy.It was good to be away and it's good to come back.

foxinsocks Fri 16-Feb-07 19:38:58

I found the first 6 months to a year a relief (especially not having to commute - that was marvellous).

Then after that, I felt the children benefitted loads (they were still little) but I started to suffer.

I think it's very hard to give people advice because everyone is so different but one thing I will say is that it is very difficult to go back to a similar level of work that you leave behind (esp if you are in a 'career job'). So then you have to make a decision as to whether you want to return to a 'lesser' job for the sake of it or make a gigantic effort to claw your way back up the career ladder (or start something completely different).

As I've said, that's my experience of it. I know other people feel differently.

However, I felt, even from some of your very early posts, that your heart wasn't in your work (no criticism, but you sounded unhappy at work iyswim) and I think, in that situation, where you have the choice of being at home, you'd be mad not to give it a go .

PrincessPeaHead Fri 16-Feb-07 19:39:03

I've had about 3 years off after 12 or so years of a professional career. I've recently applied for a senior public appointment and they aren't holding my career break against me at all. Have been shortlisted down to the last 20% of candidates. Don't know if I'll get it yet, but don't worry that your career as you know it is over just because you have a few years off. Your existing experience doesn't just go away - you just need to maintain your confidence that your brain will still be there and working fine after a break!

RanToTheHills Sun 18-Feb-07 16:39:16

that's great, PPH.Mustsay it'smy main fear that all I'veworkedfor will disappear!
Foxinsocks,you'reright - preivous threads ansting aboutthis! Never mydream job(doesone exist?) but still scary to giveup.

RanToTheHills Tue 20-Feb-07 11:45:52

still rather wobbly about this,trying not to be regretful.

muminaquandary Tue 20-Feb-07 13:40:58

btw, i am in similar situatin and have foudn that doing pro-bono work keeps the CV up to date & means people will still take applications seriously when u want to go back

RanToTheHills Wed 21-Feb-07 09:41:28

hi-you're a lawyer then? In general mgmt myself so not got such a marketable skill to offer on a freelance basis

FluffyMummy123 Wed 21-Feb-07 09:42:33

Message withdrawn

Oati Wed 21-Feb-07 09:44:03

sham LOL - fabbo typo COd

FluffyMummy123 Wed 21-Feb-07 09:44:21

Message withdrawn

Oati Wed 21-Feb-07 09:46:52

gotta go and chat and drink coffee...later

RanToTheHills Wed 21-Feb-07 10:26:05

i'm talking right now cod, if that's okwith you?!

ginnedupmummy Wed 21-Feb-07 11:23:27

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now