Back to work after 8 years

(3 Posts)
RuinedLife Fri 02-Dec-16 15:05:34

Name change for this post.
I am 40 years old with 2 children, one dc1(8) in primary school with SN, dc2 at home almost 3 year old now. I have a Engineering degree and was in high paying contract based IT technical roles before dc1 was born in another country. Since we moved country and dc1 was SN, we were ok with dh's salary, so I quit my job to take care of dc1. dc1 is well settled at school but for homework, extra clubs, school run I have to be constantly on my toes. dc2 is fairly easy child.
Now after 8 years of gap I desperately want to go back to work, reason being financial plus self worth. I am struggling to see where I fit in current work market. I can't go back to the previous roles as IT moves very fast and I can't manage two dcs with high demanding job, dh works in high pressure travelling job so barely at home. I tried volunteering at school (best with school runs etc) aiming at TA or tutoring etc but didn't find it financially viable or interesting. I also tried retraining in IT with online courses but couldn't keep up with household admin, childcare etc. Software testing is one role I am interested in that can make good money and goes with my previous software programming experience, but I keep thinking who will give me entry level job at 40.
DH likes the idea of me going back to work but unable to help with anything at home. He travels most weeks and absolutely exhausted on return.
Is there anything in the middle that can make some money and not completely mess with my dc's mum role.

OP’s posts: |
hutchblue Fri 02-Dec-16 16:30:23

Could you post this on the freelance section too? Lots of highly motivated people on there who seem to juggle it all - might be able to give some pointers as well to the freelance industry and how to make it work for you.

Very good post on there recently about how people structure their days so they get things done.

Thinking aside from what jobs you could see yourself in that you know about - what would you love to do that you've never done before?

What activities can you do that make you lose track of time?

Sometimes this can be an opportunity, as much as this "re-inventing yourself" feels like burden at times too.

Because of the fast nature of IT work, I wonder if part-time testing is something that would be feasible for big businesses? I used to work in a big technical company and it was very full-on.

That said there are a few here
www.timewisejobs.co.uk/jobs/it/

RuinedLife Fri 02-Dec-16 17:36:06

That link has no jobs in my area + 50 miles
Will check the other post you mentioned! Thanks

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in