looking for degree related job after baby

(4 Posts)
mayan26 Fri 02-Dec-16 04:08:15

Hi.
This is the firsf time i have ever done somethig like this but to be honest it feels really good to take it off my chest.
To keep this short, otherwise i can go on and on. Lol....so...
I am 26 years old, mom to 9 month old baby boy. I am currently working part time as a cleaner but have been working there for almost 6 years full time. I have a BSc in Biological Science which i achieved in October 2015.
My point is i feel like i have a baby brain and have forgotten almost everything from my degree as i was pregnany i had also moved from my parent's home and found a place of my own and then was busy trying to settle. I want to get a job in laboratory but i have lost my confidence as i feel so nervous when applying for jobs as i hate interviews and the last job interview i had was over 6 years ago.
I want to know how i can gain confidence. The thought of interviews wake me up in the middle of the night and stresses me out and causing me to be even more tired the following day.
Has anyone been through this as noone that i know can relate to me.
Plese help! 😔🙏👪

OP’s posts: |
hutchblue Sun 04-Dec-16 14:41:21

Yes.

Read the Confidence Code by Katty Klay and Clare Shipman.

Also Lean In by Cheryl Sandberg.

Both are amazing books for building confidence.

Then find a local public speaking club. Once you've stood up and talked for 2 minutes about a random topic that you get given as your name is called and you walk up to the stage, (ie, you have no time to prepare) an interview feels like a piece of cake.

I found public speaking has greatly improved my confidence to be prepared to fail and then realise that I'm still me afterwards.

Public speaking is good training for interviews smile

It also got me into a group of people who aren't at the same life-stage as me which was life-changing as up till then I was just around Mums with the same anxieties and worries as me.

I have a Confidence Boost audio, if you want to listen to it, PM me and I'll send it on.

Good luck

xx

hutchblue Sun 04-Dec-16 14:43:28

And when I say 'prepared to fail' I mean that in from my own opinion of me.

There's no one who is harder on you than yourself.

At my public speaking group everyone still chats to me at the interval and sometimes they say something complimentary.

It's only me that thinks I've made a bit of an idiot of myself. Which I haven't probably but we're all so very self-critical, aren't we?

lamprey42 Sun 04-Dec-16 14:50:32

Did you manage to get any work experience during your degree? If not that might be an option that could give you experience of where you want to work and to use for interviews. Easier said than done if you have a nine month old and a job though. Also from my experience, depending in field, a lot of jobs go to people known to the employer already so might give you a foot in the door. Good luck!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in