Talk

Advanced search

Help with interview tomorrow please!

(20 Posts)
cakedup Tue 22-Nov-16 21:46:45

Preparing for an interview tomorrow and I'm thinking about my answer to "what is your greatest weakness?". I actually hope they don't ask me this because it's so cliche and everyone knows there is a technique to answering this question. I'm hardly going to sit there and tell them I lack self confidence.

The most commonly cited answers are things like "I pay too much attention to detail/I am a perfectionist". I just think it's really cheesy and fake.

So here are a few thoughts on what I might say...would love to know what you think, if any of them I should/shouldn't say:

Social media needs brushing up on. Am looking to do a course. (The job hasn't specified social media specifically but I think it could come in handy). Bad idea to mention this?

At times I can be indecisive because I want to do the right thing. However I have developed strategies for this (which I will then detail).

I'm quite a modest person, don't give myself enough credit. I'm more about actions than words (tend to under promise and over deliver) however I realise that words can help people have confidence in you.

Bluntness100 Tue 22-Nov-16 21:51:53

I would not use those except social media. Can uou make a joke? So say " answering this question?" Or ".chocolate" " food" " well I'm no gym bunny" .

But if uou don't need social media for the job then uou could use that one.

WLmum Tue 22-Nov-16 21:53:25

Good luck! That all sounds great. My recent answer was that I don't really like public speaking so I am seizing all opportunities to do it to practice.

Thatwaslulu Tue 22-Nov-16 21:57:25

I would go for something that isn't too integral to the role (so they can't use it as a reason not to employ you) but that you quite fancy developing. So if it's a project management role, you might say that your financial analysis is a little rusty or needs to be developed, for example. They ask this question usually to gauge the response - and your instincts are right, it's really not good to be stealth bragging about how you are just too much of a perfectionist. Actually giving them a thoughtful and considered response will set you apart.

cakedup Tue 22-Nov-16 22:15:35

Actually giving them a thoughtful and considered response will set you apart. That's a good point Thatwaslulu i'd rather come across as genuine than someone who just knows how to look up "good interview answers" on google.

cakedup Tue 22-Nov-16 22:18:00

WLmum this job actually involves public speaking! Am trying to think of something similar (i.e. a skill not needed for the role) but not sure if it's something that can be too irrelevant to the role either?

cakedup Tue 22-Nov-16 22:19:01

Bluntness100 I could start off with a joke perhaps but then would need to give them a serious answer!

Hassled Tue 22-Nov-16 22:19:06

I think the social media one is a really good thing to use - you've identified a weakness that a) isn't essential to the job, b) shows that you're looking forwards to something that may become essential as the role develops, so seems quite proactive, and c) is quite easily rectifiable. I'm less sure about acknowledging you're indecisive.

QueenOfTheHighCs Tue 22-Nov-16 22:20:07

Pick one of the second two. Don't use Social Media it doesn't sound good. They're generally referring to a personality weakness and not a lack of skill in a specific area.

cakedup Tue 22-Nov-16 22:53:19

Actually you have a point Queen it will depend on how they word the question but "what is your weakness" is referring to a personality trait.

cakedup Wed 23-Nov-16 09:30:07

Or what about, I like to support/nurture people but have to make sure I don't do it to the detriment of my own work? i.e. shows them I'm a teamworker and will also mention how I might resolve it?

WLmum Wed 23-Nov-16 20:25:41

So? How did it go?

cakedup Wed 23-Nov-16 21:32:25

It was really tough. They didn't even ask the greatest weakness question. Their questions were much worse.
Interviews are so difficult. I'd much rather spend 3 days working with them for nothing so they can see my qualities and assess my abilities for themselves.

Oh well. Thanks for asking anyway.

WLmum Wed 23-Nov-16 22:05:31

I agree totally! Fingers crossed though, you may well have done better than you think. And if not, chalk it up to experience.

cakedup Wed 23-Nov-16 23:15:04

Thanks WLmum flowers

cakedup Thu 15-Dec-16 22:41:46

I got the job!!!

mintthins Thu 15-Dec-16 22:43:59

Congratulations! flowersfsmile

cakedup Sat 17-Dec-16 10:55:35

Thank you so much!! Best Xmas present ever!!

ChuckGravestones Sat 17-Dec-16 10:59:41

Well done.

I had a terrible interview recently.

It came with a test. 90 minutes. It was brutal.

I got the job and could not understand why.

Last week I spoke the the recruiting manager and they told me that my interview was indeed pants [I came bottom] but the results were head and shoulders above everyone else for the test.

Her argument was that you can't teach intelligence and why do the test if they just go in interview when that can be swayed by extreme nerves [which I had in spades].

Well done you flowers

cakedup Sat 17-Dec-16 11:24:48

That's interesting Chuck . I didn't have a test but the questions were tough. I am really intrigued as to why I got it. I was full of (fake) confidence and didn't hesitate for any of the questions but was winging it. And the job is term time! Have been living on the bread line for over a year...this will change everything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now