Talk

Advanced search

Reasonable suggestion for staggered return

(7 Posts)
girlygirlgirly Tue 22-Nov-16 09:16:57

I need some help. I am returning to work after maternity leave in January and my workplace have agreed I can stagger my return. But I am not sure what is a reasonable request?
Any suggestions?
I currently work 8.30 till 5 Monday to Friday. Although the job really is much more than that most of the time.

LIZS Tue 22-Nov-16 09:27:34

Would you be using accrued leave for the absences? What childcare do you have in place? I'd suggest a minimum of 3 days or 5 part days.

girlygirlgirly Tue 22-Nov-16 10:31:43

Hi Lizs. No it would be unpaid (which is fine) using accrued leave for last month prior.
I was thinking 4 days and maybe finish at 3:30/4 on the 4 days.

I don't want to go back at all quite honestly!!!

user1471950254 Tue 22-Nov-16 12:30:35

Can I ask why it's being staggered? I find that very unusual as only every worked in organisations where a staggered return was used from long-term absence due to illness?

mouldycheesefan Tue 22-Nov-16 12:33:43

Same here I work in HR we do phased return for illness not maternity. Howe ear if someone had accrued holiday to use up they could use that e.g one day per week.

MissSueFlay Tue 22-Nov-16 12:39:39

I used accrued leave to do a phased return when I went back to work after mat leave. I was returning to an 8.30-4.30, Mon-Fri role.
I started off doing a couple of 2-day weeks, then up to 3-days for 3 weeks, 4-days for 3 weeks and then up to 5 days. It helped DD settle into her nursery (she was 8.5 months when I started the 2-days). I'd definitely try to do it again, my managers were very supportive of it & HR took their lead from them. I believe several people have done it since I did.
Personally I wouldn't use the time to reduce the hours on the days you're working, you'll just get used to the early finishes and not want to give them up!

girlygirlgirly Wed 23-Nov-16 18:56:22

Good advice MissSue. I think you are right about getting use to early finishes.

As far as I am aware lots of people I know and work with have done a phased return to get them back into work gradually. It's a big step to suddenly not see your child !!

My HR dept suggested it ages ago as an option if I wanted it. My job is quite demanding though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now