Talk

Advanced search

Keep in touch days

(3 Posts)
Christinedonna Mon 21-Nov-16 23:02:39

i thought this was really simple, until I started reading about it and now I'm lost! I am 4 months into my maternity leave and I'm just brainstorming on how I can make a bit more money. I know you get 10 keep it touch days so wanted to know if there were any other conditions to that. I was only contracted about 14-16 hours a week when working, would it be possible to work say, a 10 hour shift a fortnight for 5 months? That's only ten days so would have assumed that would be fine but what's everyone talking about "getting the hours back" or "deducting it from maternity pay". Do I not get my maternity pay, plus what I earn when I go in for a shift?

user1471950254 Tue 22-Nov-16 12:33:12

You need to check HR guidelines as there are income implications to using KiT days. They are designed for engagement and to keep you involved in the organisation not to boost income. Can you not return to work earlier if needing to boost income? You could return to Payroll & use holidays or just return to work?

PatriciaHolm Tue 22-Nov-16 16:39:22

https://www.maternityaction.org.uk/advice-2/mums-dads-scenarios/pregnant/keeping-in-touch-days/

You can use KIT days like this, but be careful as your employer is entitled if they wish to offset your SMP against them so you don't get paid twice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now