Help with CV - references

(11 Posts)
Tokelau Fri 18-Nov-16 15:32:45

I want to apply for a job I have seen. I have been self-employed for the last five years. Before that, I worked for a company that no longer exists, so I can't get a reference from them. I was a SAHM before that job, and my job before that was thirteen years ago. Even in that job, there was a mass walkout, and the people who left started their own company. This means that no-one in the company that I worked in knows me or anything about me. I don't know what to do about references on my CV. Can anyone offer any advice?

There are plenty of family friends with responsible jobs that would give me a good reference, however, this is nothing really to do with work. I did a PGCE a few years ago, and could put my tutor down as a referee, but the job that I am applying for is not in education, so it's not really relevant.

indigox Fri 18-Nov-16 15:38:17

I never put references on my CV, I don't know anyone who does and I've seen hundreds of CVs from when I was recruiting for positions within my team, I've always just been asked to supply two references after a job offer has been made.

As for who you can use if they're requested, if you're self employed do you have any clients?

lljkk Fri 18-Nov-16 15:53:52

I asked friends at a group where I volunteered to give me a reference.
I think your PGCE tutor can be a good reference, in that they can say what your character & work ethic & ability to learn new things are like.

Tokelau Fri 18-Nov-16 15:54:50

I teach, so my clients are children, or their parents. Not sure if they would be any good as referees.

Indigox, that's interesting about not putting referees on your CV. I always have, but perhaps it's not done now.

Tokelau Fri 18-Nov-16 15:59:09

I've just done some googling about CVs, and one recommendation was to put 'References are available on request'. Is this the done thing?

This is the format of my CV, although I will alter it slightly as the job I am applying for is not in education.

Name, address and email

Short Profile

Career history

Educational Qualifications

Personal interests

Referees

lljkk Fri 18-Nov-16 16:02:01

Does your 'Short Profile' use buzzwords & list skillsets that the job wants?
I don't see why parents of kids couldn't be a ref for you, too.
I have my references on my CV. Headache to keep record of them elsewhere.

Iwasbornin1993 Fri 18-Nov-16 16:03:58

Hi OP, I work in recruitment - it's definitely the done thing now just to have a short statement about references being available rather than listing them. I'd also agree that your PGCE tutor would make a good choice, as would a client if you have a longstanding relationship with any particular one?

EssentialHummus Fri 18-Nov-16 16:07:56

CV writer here. It's absolutely fine to put "References available on request" at the bottom of your CV - no need to include them upfront.

A lot of people feel uneasy about including them anyway, as they worry that the prospective employer will contact the current employer without the candidate's permission.

Your format looks fine to me, though I'd suggest that you keep the short profile genuinely short (<5 lines) - some people let it run to half a page or more, which is likely to lose the reader's attention if they're going through a stack of CVs.

WhatwouldRuthdo Fri 18-Nov-16 16:19:22

To follow the recruitment consultant and CV writer, I'm a careers advisor smile I agree that references on request is absolutely fine. The employer is unlikely to want to make contact until after the interview. If you have any longstanding clients, would they act as a referee for you?

Tokelau Fri 18-Nov-16 17:11:22

Well that's a relief!

I will just put that on my CV then.

Lljkk, the CV that I'll send will definitely include skills that are relevant for the job.

I'll make sure it is concise.

Thank you all, it's very useful advice, and great to hear from people who know about CVs!

OobryJoobry Fri 18-Nov-16 17:29:57

Hi,
I'm a uni lecturer and quite often get requests for references from ex students. It helps if they contact me before the potential employer to give me some info on what they've applied for, and what they have been up to since leaving uni.
Good luck with the application.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now