Talk

Advanced search

Thinking of retraining

(12 Posts)
Morebiscuitsplease Fri 18-Nov-16 14:26:25

I have worked part time since DD1 now 12 was 1. Due to changes in my current role in libraries I am thinking of retraining to do something I have always been interested in. It would take over 5 years but after getting a Masters, I would have a bursary and career prospects are good. I am 47 so have any least 20+ years of working life ahead of me. I think in the long term I will be glad but it will be a bit of a slog. My youngest has two more years at Primary so could do my Masters part time then will be full time once she is at secondary school. Your thoughts please.

Manumission Fri 18-Nov-16 14:29:57

How keen are you on the possible new career?

Slogs are easier with passion/enthusiasm than when you need something new and think 'that will do'.

Devilishpyjamas Mon 21-Nov-16 08:19:19

I'm about to turn 46 and (fingers crossed) will start retraining next September. It'll take me four & a half years. If you can manage the committement go for it!

Devilishpyjamas Mon 21-Nov-16 08:19:54

*commitment

AddToBasket Mon 21-Nov-16 08:23:19

Can you tell us the area of work?

I retrained and it is also taking 5yrs - totally worth it.

Devilishpyjamas Mon 21-Nov-16 08:33:42

I did look into several areas btw. Two really called out to me - I went for the one with longer but less intense training (& I had some other reservations about the other one anyway).

Morebiscuitsplease Mon 21-Nov-16 13:27:07

Am looking at training to be an Educational Psychologist...have always been interested in this, especially during my latter years of teaching. Was at a talk by a psychologist last week and really enjoyed it, made me think let's go for something I have always been interested in. It will be over 7 years all told but will be paid for some of it. First hurdle is to get into the Masters course 😳

AddToBasket Mon 21-Nov-16 13:48:56

Go for it!

The one thing I would say is to do some sort of tech/programming course alongside. I've found that I've trained for a great career for the 20th Century but in a few years time the job will be so tech based that knowledge maybe obsolete. You don't want to spend the money/time only to come out already out moded.

I recommend reading Richard Susskind's Future of the Professions so you go into it with your eyes wide open. Things will look different in 7years and that might affect your decision.

Devilishpyjamas Mon 21-Nov-16 20:01:53

Go for it - although it can be highly competitive post the psychology degree - so if you have any TA or children/SN experience it will help.

rollonthesummer Mon 21-Nov-16 20:04:12

Go for it. Our LEA is crying out for EPs-they advertise constantly and only 4/9 full time posts are filled.

It's not easy to get a funded place though-I do know that.

Devilishpyjamas Mon 21-Nov-16 20:04:30

Oh just reread your message properly! You do have the right experience - good luck (I am applying for SLT - so overlap in some areas - I looked at and decided against SW).

Thanks for recommendation basket - ds3's school is very into future proofing the way they learn so I'd like to read that anyway!

rollonthesummer Mon 21-Nov-16 20:55:47

Is SLT a whole new degree? Or do you need a masters?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now